BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2018 3:42:13 PM EDT
Friend picked up a pile of 223 ammo from academy sports a few months ago, avg price per round was 20 cents. I thought the price was outstanding but then realized it was steel casing not brass. He does not reload so does it matter?  Doesn’t seem like many here buy the cheapest ammo with steel but. It sure what the negatives are.

My only 223 order was from freed munitions and they were reloads that have worked great.  Cost was appx 20 cents as well, but with brass. Accuracy and cycling has been perfect
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the time, there's no issue with steel whatsoever. What I would do is try smaller batches first of different steel brands before you run out and buy 3-4 cases of a new brand. (That's the same with any ammo)

Some ARs (barrels & BCGs) are a little more sensitive to steel. I've never had problems with regular wolf steel cased. I did have issues with silver & brown bear getting stuck in the chamber and ripping off case rims. That happened across multiple brands of barrels and BCGs for me.

Somebody will always come in and say "MUH AR CYCLES EVERYTHING", but.. it's better to be safe than sorry to make sure it's accurate enough and reliable enough through your regular use.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The steel cased ammo in that price range will use a bi-metal bullet which wears out barrel rifling faster, but not significantly faster, and the price savings of the ammo will more than pay for a new barrel. Other than that, I personally wouldn't use it for self defense purposes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot it almost exclusively.  The only issue I had was with a bad lot of WOLF back when it was still manuf by Tula. Barnaul took over wolf production years ago and I havent had an issue since.

The vast majority of people are never going to shoot out a barrel anyway and those that do will have saved enough to buy multiple barrels and more cases of ammo to boot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
It all depends on why you are shooting. There is a quote saying something like only accurate guns are interesting. I agree with that. If you feed an accurate gun 3 or 5 MOA ammo what's the point? On the other hand if you are just double taping B-27 silhouette at 15 yards, sure.

BTW, I tried out some of that yellow stripe no steel bullet in a steel case by Wolf and Tula. SUCKS! Wolf 55gr keyholed at 50 yards. Tula 62 fmj and hp, 5 MOA from a bipod and rear bag from a DD that easily shoots 1 MOA with FGMM.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If your rifle feeds it, run it. I only use steel in my Tavor and my AR15 with Echo trigger. Really only shoot them in at my indoor range that allows rapid fire. I practice double or triple taps at close range where accuracy doesnt matter really. Outdoor range shooting 50 yards+ it's brass because that's what I'd realistically shoot during shtf.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The steel cased ammo in that price range will use a bi-metal bullet which wears out barrel rifling faster, but not significantly faster, and the price savings of the ammo will more than pay for a new barrel. Other than that, I personally wouldn't use it for self defense purposes.
View Quote
Yup. Would I shoot a ton of it out of my SR-15...no. But I sure as shit will burn up as many PSA barrels as I can manage with the stuff. It’s great for inside 100yds.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yup. Would I shoot a ton of it out of my SR-15...no. But I sure as shit will burn up as many PSA barrels as I can manage with the stuff. It’s great for inside 100yds.
View Quote
That is what happened to me
I use to mag dump a lot and my old SR15 Mod1 was my most used gun.
After 4000rds of steel case Russian ammo and ~8500rds of brass case copper jacketed ammo, my old SR15 Mod1's bore started to wear down and with 2 of the lands in the bore almost gone.
The rifle could still group 1.5MOA at 100 yards, however, after about 30rds, the bullet holes on paper wouldn't be completely circular.
I later sold the complete upper to another KAC collector.

My current shooter Mod1 has 18,200rds through it, all brass case copper jacketed ammo, and the bore looks pristine.

If you can't easily replace your barrel... try not to shoot Russian steel case ammo... at least try not to mag dump
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Bcm 14.5 carbine would eat anything. Since building more precision based rifles I've stopped shooting steel cased ammo.... Until I just  ordered some Hornady steel match
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Is there a reason not to buy? Yes, supporting a hostile nations military industrial complex and evil leader that is aimed at destroying our country.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I shoot it almost exclusively.  The only issue I had was with a bad lot of WOLF back when it was still manuf by Tula. Barnaul took over wolf production years ago and I havent had an issue since.

The vast majority of people are never going to shoot out a barrel anyway and those that do will have saved enough to buy multiple barrels and more cases of ammo to boot.
View Quote
I shoot it almost exclusively as well, mostly polymer coated steel Wolf. I've saved enough money (20K through my LMT) to build another rifle and the barrel still isn't shot out yet. I've had exactly 4 failures to extract and now replace the extractor spring every 2-3k with the BCM kit. I always use the o-ring and have never had a rim rippped off. I also have an H1 buffer and sprinco blue action spring, I'm sure that helps with extraction.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is there a reason not to buy? Yes, supporting a hostile nations military industrial complex and evil leader that is aimed at destroying our country.
View Quote
Another good reason. Probably the best reason. I didn't bring it up because most people on this forum can't think that large scale.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Some of these posts illustrate how little I shoot compared to you and for that reason, the steel vs brass cost differential is insignificant but I have 20 cents a round in my head and I guess that is only attainable for steel or reman ammo bc I don’t see such prices for name brand brass. Does it ever get that low?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer not to, but I have my reasons as for the why. Good reasons too.

But that said, I do have a few 500 round cases of the Wolf that's copper jacketed for my beater or for classes. Much safer to use than bi metal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#14]
commies

dirty

inconsistent  -  fire 10 thru a chrony and see 100fps hi/low spread

it also tends to be slow, which will zero differently than hotter M193

copper washed steel jacket is hard on barrels, and tends not to fragment as much as M193

do not want  /  I won't buy it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I’d just as soon get solid ammo like Wolf Gold for only a few pennies more these days, but as long as one is fine with 4ish MOA and doing non-precision shooting from a non-precision rifle, they should be happy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’d just as soon get solid ammo like Wolf Gold for only a few pennies more these days, but as long as one is fine with 4ish MOA and doing non-precision shooting from a non-precision rifle, they should be happy.
View Quote
50 to 70 dollars per thousand compared to WOLF gold isn't insignificant.  Well to me anyway.  That's 500 or more dollars a year in savings for me. Everyone has things they are and aren't willing to do.  I don't see Russia as the big evil boogie man personally so I don't care that a bit of my money goes to them every year or not.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]
always a poor argument

"I can make me sum 12 cents a shot bullets"

How much time did you spend on it

"That doesn't count"

Time is worth money, which reloaders never account for
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got 2 boxes of Hornady steel match in to try.   How do these compare to say wolf?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

always a poor argument

"That doesn't count"

View Quote
Time is worth the same reloading as it is posting on chat forums or sitting around watching TV.  We don't get paid for any of those activities either.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Time is worth the same reloading as it is posting on chat forums or sitting around watching TV.  We don't get paid for any of those activities either.
View Quote
Bam! Home run with bases loaded in center field even.

My time is my own to dictate how it's spent doing whatever I please. And I choose to reload because I get batter ammunition that way
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

always a poor argument

"That doesn't count"

View Quote
I don’t reload, but this argument depends entirely on if one views reloading as a chore or a hobby. Many that do, consider it a hobby. Many that don’t, consider it a chore. I don’t think that’s an accident.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just got 2 boxes of Hornady steel match in to try.   How do these compare to say wolf?
View Quote
The only similarity is that both use a steel casing. Hornady Steel Match should not be considered in the same category as other steel case. The projectile is a premium Hornady bullet, and I’d wager it is loaded with much greater consistency.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
not even close hot shot

next you'll tell me a ditch diggers time is the same a a lawyers amirite
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don’t reload, but this argument depends entirely on if one views reloading as a chore or a hobby. Many that do, consider it a hobby. Many that don’t, consider it a chore. I don’t think that’s an accident.
View Quote
exactly

the hobby reloaders negate the cost that others will have to pay, either with time or money.

And further you get people like about that falsely rationalize time
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

always a poor argument

"That doesn't count"

View Quote

My time is valuable too.

that's why I posted a Dillon 650 instead of a single stage.

I get satisfaction making large amounts of quality ammo.

you're never gonna increase your skills shooting dirt backstops with crappy steel cased junk

from camp perry to the USPSA-IPSC Nationals, most of the guys at the top of the scoresheet are reloading
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do any american companies make steel case?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

not even close hot shot

View Quote
Yeah without ditch diggers we`d have no where to put the lawyers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Peed in pants laughing
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Peed in pants laughing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peed in pants laughing
DOUBLE BRAVO
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
not even close hot shot

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
not even close hot shot

Why does it have to be considered a job hot shot?
some consider it a labor of love
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
The same could be said for eating pussy... I've made a hobby of it... same as reloading! YMMV!
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Some ranges don't allow it, even if its bi-metal.  It attracts a magnet, and arguing with ROs isn't a winner all the time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not any rifle that I know of but Winchester makes the forged line which is steel cased but IMO far lower quality than anything from Russia.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Friend picked up a pile of 223 ammo from academy sports a few months ago, avg price per round was 20 cents. I thought the price was outstanding but then realized it was steel casing not brass. He does not reload so does it matter?  Doesn’t seem like many here buy the cheapest ammo with steel but. It sure what the negatives are.

My only 223 order was from freed munitions and they were reloads that have worked great.  Cost was appx 20 cents as well, but with brass. Accuracy and cycling has been perfect
View Quote
If you are using it for practice at appropriate ranges then I don't see an issue.  I would not keep it for long term storage ammo.  I have seen steel case corrode in the mag and cause issues.  This happened to me with 9mm steel cased ammo I left loaded in mags.  Brass cased ammo can stay loaded for years and it may change color, tarnish, but it won't stick to itself or damage the walls of a steel magazine.  There are many reasons why quality ammo has been made of brass for many many years.  If money is not a concern brass is always better.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you are using it for practice at appropriate ranges then I don't see an issue.  I would not keep it for long term storage ammo.  I have seen steel case corrode in the mag and cause issues.  This happened to me with 9mm steel cased ammo I left loaded in mags.  Brass cased ammo can stay loaded for years and it may change color, tarnish, but it won't stick to itself or damage the walls of a steel magazine.  There are many reasons why quality ammo has been made of brass for many many years.  If money is not a concern brass is always better.
View Quote
there has been tons of 70yo 8mm steel case as well as 45 acp from ww2 thats still fine

if its kept from humidity, it will last as long as brass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I shoot a ton of Brown Bear / Barnaul 55gr and it has cycled reliably with all the ARs I have (BCM, Spikes, DD, Ballistic Advantage, PSA). The only issues I have had are hard primers, but it's pretty infrequent and a good opportunity for failure drills. I've heard of more issues with Wolf and Tula, but haven't tried them.

I shoot almost exclusively with cans, and as long as I occasionally run a bore snake and keep the BCG oiled, there aren't problems.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#38]
If you shoot brass & then shoot steel, be sure to clean your rifle & especially scrub the chamber well.

Brass expands when fired which keeps the chamber cleaner.

Steel doesn't expand at firing. That allows more gas & grit around the chamber.

Firing brass, then steel then back to brass can cause malfunctions due to the brass expanding against the now dirty & gritty chamber.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Working at a range, I've seen it choke many firearms of all different kinds, especially AR15 & AR10. Idk why but my mutt AR15 build eats it well with never an issue. Colt Barrel & BCG combo, over-gased. I also don't shoot until my barrel smokes like most of the people I've seen do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Your mileage my vary. Try it, if your gun is crap & can't handle it maybe reloads will be your next best alternative for budget ammo. Not trying to offend anybody with the "Your AR15 sucks" remark but I have to be brutally honest sometimes, as I've SEENT it far too many times
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not trying to offend anybody with the "Your AR15 sucks" remark but I have to be brutally honest sometimes, as I've SEENT it far too many times
View Quote
you seen crappy ARs, which are more prevalent now a days because of cheap parts, and incompetent builders.

If you have been here for any amount of time, the "whats wrong" threads in the AR section are a good sign.

any decent AR should run steel w/o problems with min maintenance
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#41]
My personal reason why I don't use steel ammo in any gun I own. (besides the very good reasons already mentioned)

1. Steel ammo tends to be coated in a clear lacquer paint. Super heated sticks to the inside of your chamber and curds everything up and just more that I have to clean.

2. I tend to do what then engineers that designed my firearm intended me to do. Varying from that tends to screw things up. Firearms were designed with brass ammo in mind. Steel ammo against a steel extractor, I would think, would put greater wear on my my extractor as it was designed to be pulling a brass case, not a steel one. Steel against steel causes more wear ... all over, as opposed to brass.

Again, just my opinion. Since I don't need to i just don't.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Buy it. Only one Ive seen that was lacquered was AK ammo years ago.  Buy it cheap stack it deep. Some day these prices will go back up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#43]
I have had no problems, and its great to just pay less to be able to shoot more.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I shoot a ton of Brown Bear / Barnaul 55gr and it has cycled reliably with all the ARs I have (BCM, Spikes, DD, Ballistic Advantage, PSA). The only issues I have had are hard primers, but it's pretty infrequent and a good opportunity for failure drills. I've heard of more issues with Wolf and Tula, but haven't tried them.

I shoot almost exclusively with cans, and as long as I occasionally run a bore snake and keep the BCG oiled, there aren't problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Put in a WOLFF extra power hammer spring.  Problem solved for a few bucks.  It could even be as simple as your hammer spring is getting a little weak and needs to be replaced with a standard one, seen that many times even with brass cased ammo.

Quoted:
Buy it. Only one Ive seen that was lacquered was AK ammo years ago.  Buy it cheap stack it deep. Some day these prices will go back up.
Lots of laquer cased out there but I prefer that to the Poly case.  The laquer isn't melting in the chamber like many people seem to have thought in the past.

Most of the Barnual ammo with exception of the WOLF poly casing which they make is laquer coated.

Brown Bear
Herters (Cabelas or Bass Pro forget which one)
Monarch (Academy)
Barnaul contract ammo though SGAMMO
Some versions of WOLF

My personal reason why I don't use steel ammo in any gun I own. (besides the very good reasons already mentioned)

1. Steel ammo tends to be coated in a clear lacquer paint. Super heated sticks to the inside of your chamber and curds everything up and just more that I have to clean.

2. I tend to do what then engineers that designed my firearm intended me to do. Varying from that tends to screw things up. Firearms were designed with brass ammo in mind. Steel ammo against a steel extractor, I would think, would put greater wear on my my extractor as it was designed to be pulling a brass case, not a steel one. Steel against steel causes more wear ... all over, as opposed to brass.

Again, just my opinion. Since I don't need to i just don't.
1)the lacquer isn't melting.  Not unless you're getting your gun hot enough to cook rounds off in the chamber.

2)The steel casings are soft steel not tool steel.  Even if it does wear out an extractor, in say 5000 rounds, you can buy 36 spare extractors with the money you saved over that 5000 rounds.  Or a new Faxon barrel and 21 spare extractors.

Quoted:
I have had no problems, and its great to just pay less to be able to shoot more.
This 1000 times over.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Super heated sticks to the inside of your chamber

I would think, would put greater wear on my my extractor

Steel against steel causes more wear ...

View Quote
please tell me this is a troll post and you dont actually believe these myths
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#46]
FYI, Tula now has steel case but non magnetic bullet ammo. I just ordered a bunch in 7.62x39 for indoor range plinking. IIRC sgammo has it for 9.95 per 40 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
FYI, Tula now has steel case but non magnetic bullet ammo. I just ordered a bunch in 7.62x39 for indoor range plinking. IIRC sgammo has it for 9.95 per 40 rounds.
View Quote
Theres a steel cased copper bullet offering from WOLF as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Theres a steel cased copper bullet offering from WOLF as well.
View Quote
back in the day before copper was $$$  a lot of the early wolf had copper bullets/steel case.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not any rifle that I know of but Winchester makes the forged line which is steel cased but IMO far lower quality than anything from Russia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about the Hornady Steel line?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What about the Hornady Steel line?
View Quote
That one totally slipped my mind for some reason
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top