Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2017 9:31:29 AM EDT
Would it be dangerous?  I'm guessing pressure should be OK since you are dropping better than 10gr of projectile weight.  I'm not sure what powder is used in the TAP or if you could cross reference it in a manual.

Velocity may not be all it could be, but should be better than the sedate Fusion/GD 223 loadings.

If anyone has tried it, what kind of velocity/accuracy/terminal performance did you get?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
These threads...https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/462278_Load_data_for_64gr_Speer_Gold_Dots____Now_with_some_chrono_readings_and_targets__.html&page=1
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/283506_.html

Molon recorded 24.6gr average for a T2 charge, no idea what power.

Why though?

T2 is fine other than not being 'barrier blind' as to terminal performance.  If accuracy is the concern then you should just work up a load like normal, not Mexican match.

Molon got 2681fps out of a 16" with 64GD .223, the guys in the thread are getting similar with around 24.5gr, so you probably will not see a worthwhile difference throwing a 64gr bullet onto a T2 load.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#2]
ATK designed the bullet and the load to work together.  It doesn't need velocity to get the job done like the OTMs do.  You can also jump into the no mans land between accuracy nodes as you bump the velocity. The Fusion/GDs were pretty accurate to begin with.  You might be creating larger problems to solve minor ones.

Just as an add on:

I used Quickload with a shortened 75gr Amax(25mm in length) with 24.1grs of Win748 and a 16" barrel to reach 60,339KPSI and a velocity of 2716fps.
Switching to a Sierra 63gr SP dropped the velocity to 2667FPS with a max pressure of only 44298KPSI.(Leaving everything else static)  

Switching out a Fusion for a 77gr OTM may not leave you enough pressure for the action to function.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  I was mostly just wondering, and I have a bunch of TAP I'm not planning on shooting.  Once you shoot a bunch of stuff with TAP, then switch to Gold Dots, you'll know why.

I've shot Gold Dots out of 24" tubes, and Federal used to make a 556 version, so there's no problem with terminal performance from added velocity.  Accuracy could be an issue.

It's probably a fools errand, but folks do all kinds of goofy stuff, so I figured I'd ask.  Unfortunately, this probably isn't the dumbest idea I'll have this week!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Sell the tap and buy whatever you want. Don't make it harder than it needs to be
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe with a 75gr Gold Dot bullet.

But as others have posted, the juice may not be worth the squeeze...as other issues may come up.

I too wish for an extra 150-200fps with the relatively slow 64GD load. But I'm sure Speer balanced out the bullet to work with the slower velocity.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
GD's run 2700-2750 out of a 16" barrel. Pretty good for a .223 pressure round
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Just handload a Fusion to 2800. 25.5gr TAC will do it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sell the tap and buy whatever you want. Don't make it harder than it needs to be
View Quote
That would be great, except you can't hardly give TAP away, and no one sells 556 pressure gold dots.  To load them myself I have to pull the GDs, so pulling the TAPs wouldn't be that much more work.  I'm probably to lazy to do it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe with a 75gr Gold Dot bullet.

But as others have posted, the juice may not be worth the squeeze...as other issues may come up.

I too wish for an extra 150-200fps with the relatively slow 64GD load. But I'm sure Speer balanced out the bullet to work with the slower velocity.
View Quote
Speer used to load them to 556 pressure.  I've read (I can't confirm) that they dropped it because PDs were too stupid to keep 556 out of 223 chambers.

I've shot deer and hogs inside 20 yards with 64gr Gold Dots from a 24" tube, and the added velocity does not hurt the performance, you still get great penetration (20+") and dramatic wound channels.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That would be great, except you can't hardly give TAP away, and no one sells 556 pressure gold dots.  To load them myself I have to pull the GDs, so pulling the TAPs wouldn't be that much more work.  I'm probably to lazy to do it anyway.
View Quote
Actually Rocky Mountain Reloading has the Gold Dots available as component bullets so you could just load from scratch.

62 Grain Gold Dots
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top