Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 3:57:27 PM EDT
Hello all,
I have started getting into reloading and was interested in making some outstanding hog hunting ammo. Also to be used for SHTF so I am trying to load some ammo which would have great expansion in soft tissue.  Understanding the merits of FMJ/Ball and Open Tip Match, I am looking at a good all around bullet that will expand as quickly as possible, and one that expands at a more slow, consistent rate. I have been dabbling a bit in the theoretical principals behind different bullet types, and OTM seems the best for slower expansion I was wondering what would be the best for the fastest expansion? Hollow Point? Lead Nose? Reloading full lead rounds?

I have not yet seen a range report on the accuracy of cast lead rounds, but the idea the the bullets are for close to intermediate range(0-200yds) makes me confident that even a 2.0MOA would be sufficient for a fast-expanding round of lead. As for the particular difference between LN and HP when striking the target, which would offer quicker expansion?  Which one, in your opinion, would be better suited for thick hide and for thin flesh?  The rounds I will be using will be 5.56/.223. I do understand the the difference between the rounds may seem negligible, but hey that's why people swear by one type of bullet or cartridge(like 40vs9mm, 5.56vs5.45) due to tiny differences. I am simply trying to get the best type of round for fast expansion.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Given those parameters a bonded sp such as TBBC, Gold Dot, Nosler Bonded.

Or the Barnes TSX or TTSX.

You really don't want to shoot a lot of cast bullets at high velocity. Unless you like cleaning lead fouling.

Might post this in the reloading forum for better advice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top