Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2014 2:36:19 PM EDT
I've seen that it runs a couple hundred fps slower than most others in the genre.

How much of an impact does that have on performance of the projectile out of a 16" barrel for an HD situation?

Still GTG?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump because I want to know.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Those results are from June 2008.... SSA has since been bought out, and run by Nosler.

I believe they were having problems with blown primers from the original faster Mk262 clones.

My velocity was as follows...

SSA 5.56 77gr.......5.56 SSA.......16" Av. 2442, ES 25..........20" Av. 2567, ES 60............."B+" accuracy ... 1.75 MOA

As for performance.... I am not for sure but I would tend to believe you are at least GTG up to 70 yds, given its lower velocity. THAT is just a guess.

Image from a Molon post. Credit due him.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#4]
From what data I have seen from their website their ballistics is the same as black hills 77 grain round, which is 2750 fps.  I'm assuming that a 20" barrel was used, but I'll take a 77grain round in 5.56 out of a 16" barrel any day of the week over 55 grain or 62 grain green tip and that's from personal experience I saw in Afghanistan against Taliban fighters.  I have a 16" barrel and it's loaded with either SSA 77 grain or Black Hills 77 grain rounds.   Below is a picture of a 100 yard 5 shot SSA 77 Grain 5.56 from my 16" Rainier Arms Select Barrel with a crappy 18 year old Bushnell scope, 2x4 block of wood as a rest, and a hasty sight in.  (The lower left shot was from sighting it in and not part of the 5 shot.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

. . . black hills 77 grain round, which is 2750 fps.  I'm assuming that a 20" barrel was used . . .  

View Quote

Doubtful.

Black Hills states on their website that this load has a velocity of 2750 FPS, but they do not state an associated barrel length with that. From a 20” Colt barrel this load had a muzzle velocity of 2687 FPS with a standard deviation of 16 FPS.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Molon!!! Hey, what's up, man?  I'm glad to see you posting again!  Hey, whatever happened to the book you were gonna put together?  Just curious, as I'd buy a copy for sure.  And, once, again, thanks for all the knowledge that you have shared with us over the years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Molon!!! Hey, what's up, man?  I'm glad to see you posting again!  Hey, whatever happened to the book you were gonna put together?  Just curious, as I'd buy a copy for sure.  And, once, again, thanks for all the knowledge that you have shared with us over the years.
View Quote

It's going to be a while yet.  I'm constantly adding new material to it.  My girlfriend keeps saying that she will be publishing it posthumously.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#8]
SSA makes some great ammo. My (1/7 twist) rifle prefers the 69gr HPBT over the 77gr though
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's going to be a while yet.  I'm constantly adding new material to it.  My girlfriend keeps saying that she will be publishing it posthumously.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're too thorough, Molon. Lol. Put out what you have then publish volume II. Boom!! Probmem solved. Lol.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top