Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2013 11:47:45 PM EDT
I was unable to find any detailed threads that give an in depth review/details about .300 AAC compared to something like 5.56, even through google search. The most info ive been able to find is thru wikipedia, and hickok45.

From my understanding, it's a fantastic round to suppress, im not sure why.

-Cheap to reload apparently, some here have said $0.10/round?
-Effective range is no more than 300 yds, according to a few random posts?

Anything else? Someone wanna link me some highly technical threads? Or post a quick detailed summary compared to 223/556? Is it good for yotes or is the velocity too low?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was unable to find any detailed threads that give an in depth review/details about .300 AAC compared to something like 5.56, even through google search. The most info ive been able to find is thru wikipedia, and hickok45.

From my understanding, it's a fantastic round to suppress, im not sure why.

-Cheap to reload apparently, some here have said $0.10/round?
-Effective range is no more than 300 yds, according to a few random posts?

Anything else? Someone wanna link me some highly technical threads? Or post a quick detailed summary compared to 223/556? Is it good for yotes or is the velocity too low?

Thanks

Here: http://300aacblackout.com/
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#2]
This is what i was looking for 300BLK FAQ (which is what your link led me to =) )

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:04:58 AM EDT
[#3]
So.. according to that faq i posted moments ago,  it appears i cannot use a rifle length gas tube for 300aac? I got another lower, but thats a let down :(
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
no you cannot use rifle length gas. 16 inch barrel or longer you use carbine, below 16 inches you use pistol.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So.. according to that faq i posted moments ago,  it appears i cannot use a rifle length gas tube for 300aac? I got another lower, but thats a let down :(

The gas tube is a $12-15 part.  Used Carbine Handguards can be had for about the same on the Equipment Exchange.  With the 300 BLK all you need to change out is the barrel on a carbine upper.  If you have an existing rifle length upper, you will need to swap out the gas tube and handguards - EVERY OTHER PART IS THE SAME AS THE .223/5.56 AR INCLUDING THE MAGAZINE!  

Total cost would be your barrel +$30 for handguards and a gas tube.  This shouldn't be a let down as finding Bolts and BCG's that are dedicated to the other variants is very hard and usually much more expensive than .223/5.56 bolts, plus you typically need dedicated magazines for whichever variant caliber you choose.

I think you might want to re-read some of the "Build it Yourself" data on the AR before building up a variant if the gas system is throwing you for a curve.  Check out 300blktalk.com for more info on 300 BLK.  

Reloading 300 BLK in today's world is going to be expensive unless you are already stocked up on .30 caliber bullets, .223 brass and magnum pistol powder (which many longtime reloaders already are).  With the bulk surplus 147 grain military .308 bullets of long ago, it may have been possible to reload for $.10/round, but it will likely be a few years (if ever) before you can buy that cheaply again.  My supersonic reloads run about $.26-.29/round with Speer TNT's and re-used brass (depending on primer - CCI vs. Wolf is about twice the cost).  Subsonic run about $.35-.42 just for the bullet so they will be under $.50/each.  You can cast your own bullets for pennies on the dollar over copper plated factory bullets if you don't mind the time and equipment investments and cleaning the lead from your barrel and/or suppressor.

Factory Ammo for the 300 BLK will be comparable (maybe just a little cheaper on Remington 115 FMJ rounds) to the other variants with the exception of the Russian made steel cased stuff like 5.45 and 7.62x39.  However, we have been promised other variants to be hitting the market in steel cased ammo.

If you want a heavier hitting intermediate round that is ideal for the AR platform, the 300 BLK is great as are the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC.  If you want a distance round, look into the .308 platform calibers where you will have to get a new lower.

300 BLK will be fine on Yotes if you call them in within 300 yards.  However, the .223 will also handle this for less cost and with less holdover.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the response.

I just wanted to build a separate 300 upper, so i could have the ability quickly swap it to my other SPR-ish build in progress - which is going to be running a rifle length buffer tube / A2 stock so thats why it was a let down for me. Thankfully i have an M&P15 laying around so im good to go.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the response.

I just wanted to build a separate 300 upper, so i could have the ability quickly swap you can it to my other SPR-ish build in progress - which is going to be running a rifle length buffer tube <-- doesnt matter / A2 stock so thats why it was a let down for me<--- it doesnt matter . Thankfully i have an M&P15 laying around so im good to go.

a rifle length buffer tube and a rifle length gas system are 2 different things ... the gas tube is on the UPPER and the buffer is on the LOWER
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Its  a  good load if one has access to a  SBR & Suppressor  with barrel 10 inches or under.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the response.

I just wanted to build a separate 300 upper, so i could have the ability quickly swap you can it to my other SPR-ish build in progress - which is going to be running a rifle length buffer tube <-- doesnt matter / A2 stock so thats why it was a let down for me<--- it doesnt matter . Thankfully i have an M&P15 laying around so im good to go.

a rifle length buffer tube and a rifle length gas system are 2 different things ... the gas tube is on the UPPER and the buffer is on the LOWER

^----This

Your buffer is irrelevant and only a function of your stock.  You can run an A2 stock with a carbine upper.  No law against that.  Now go build a 300BLK upper.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The 300BLK is my favorite suppressed SBR round.  I have a lot of footage showing the round in action and explaining its capabilities on my channel.  Here's the first 300 BLK video I did from last summer.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top