How does 55grain ammo ( esp Wolf) perform in terms of
fragmentation & accuracy in addition to the velocity
based on range upto 100 & to 200 yards?

I remember someone telling me that with 1:7 chrome lined
barrel are better suited for higher weight ammo. Also stated
that 1:9 is more suitable in terms of accuracy & use  with
55 grain ammo.
Also that if these things are not taken into account,
a hit from  5.56 round is like getting hit by a .22 cal.

input is greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You got no answers because you didn't read the FAQ.

According to the ammo oracle, in the FAQ, Wolf won't fragment. Makes sense, since it's a "bi-metal" jacket, otherwise known as copper-plated steel. Add to that that it's 200 fps or more slower than even stock .223 ammo, and it's probably the least suited for self-defense. The FAQ lists the most suite ammo types, and tells you why.

My 1:7 shoots Wolf 55gr (and any other 55gr) just fine. Yes, heavier is better (more accurately, it's less "bad") from an accuracy perspective, but out to 200 yards it's not particularly relevant.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Sorry about not looking at the right place first!
What about their Gold Series"? Copper jacket?
How about their regular 62grain HP  rounds?
How do the perform?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
None of the WOlf is good self defense ammo.  M855 62 grain was designed to be fired from a 1/9 barrel.  M856 caused the shift from a 1/9 to a 1/7 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You got no answers because you didn't read the FAQ.

According to the ammo oracle, in the FAQ, Wolf won't fragment. Makes sense, since it's a "bi-metal" jacket, otherwise known as copper-plated steel. Add to that that it's 200 fps or more slower than even stock .223 ammo, and it's probably the least suited for self-defense. The FAQ lists the most suite ammo types, and tells you why.

My 1:7 shoots Wolf 55gr (and any other 55gr) just fine. Yes, heavier is better (more accurately, it's less "bad") from an accuracy perspective, but out to 200 yards it's not particularly relevant.

My Wolf ammo I just ordered states 3240 fps (not sure if its true).  I haven't chrono'd i yet, but the stated 3240 fps (20" barrel) is the same as my PRVI M193 and my Fed XM193.  I will know more after I get it and shoot it on Thursday.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Wolf ammo I just ordered states 3240 fps (not sure if its true).  I haven't chrono'd i yet,.....

They have shorter feet in Russia.

That is quite funny.......actually I don't really care, I just bought 2K of it to try out in my rifles.  But I was wondering about the stated 3240 fps.....sounded to good to be true.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top