Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2008 7:30:32 AM EDT
Bought first AR-15(colt 6920) from a friend. New to the world of 223/5.56. Searched the resource links re ammo rating, etc. Lots of discussion about 3131 vs.3131A, Federal 193(with all the letters before and after#193),etc.,but I cannot find a single posting that explains the actual differences other than where ammo is manufactured––Isreal, Lake City––who manufactures it––Federal, Winchester, PVC, etc.
The ratings and review posting gives one a sense of reliability but is there any one location that explains differences in some detail vs. having to search each ammo type individually to educate oneself?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought first AR-15(colt 6920) from a friend. New to the world of 223/5.56. Searched the resource links re ammo rating, etc. Lots of discussion about 3131 vs.3131A, Federal 193(with all the letters before and after#193),etc.,but I cannot find a single posting that explains the actual differences other than where ammo is manufactured––Isreal, Lake City––who manufactures it––Federal, Winchester, PVC, etc.
The ratings and review posting gives one a sense of reliability but is there any one location that explains differences in some detail vs. having to search each ammo type individually to educate oneself?

Try This:  Frequently Asked Questions

and Specifically:  Ammo Oracle

Or the Downloadable version:
Ammo Oracle PDF

ETA: I can't believe I beat Zhukov... He must be celebrating the HOLIDAYS

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:Try This:  Frequently Asked Questions

and Specifically:  Ammo Oracle

Or the Downloadable version:
Ammo Oracle PDF

As recommended, definitely give the Ammo Oracle pages a read, fantastic info about .223 and 5.56.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Must have skipped over the Ammo Oracle posting––although the FAQs certainly told me where to start!  Now I know just enough to keep up with the conversation at the range, but I still have much to absorb.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks.  Must have skipped over the Ammo Oracle posting––although the FAQs certainly told me where to start!  Now I know just enough to keep up with the conversation at the range, but I still have much to absorb.

Yes young Padawan... there is much to learn.

Absorb it you must

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Padawan in 5.56 but next level up in .45, 9mm, 220 swift(for those old enough to remember) and the ancient .22lr––especially with a Winchester M52.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top