Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2008 2:44:23 PM EDT
This isn't an AR caliber but there are some really experienced guys here and I don't know any better place to ask:

The Italian 6.5 that Oswald shot Kennedy with, is that bullet tough enough to punch through a couple guys and hold it's shape?  I was in Dallas last week and went to the book depository museum and looked out the window and envisioned the shots.  I don't really have a problem believing the marksmanship.  The bullet trajectory of the so called magic bullet looks believable from the window and not at all like the diagrams I have seen.  So in my mind leaving only the bullet toughness in question.  Has anyone done any testing with that bullet?

Please don't get this thread locked by talking conspiracy or any of that, or at least not before  we get some experienced answers about the bullet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
As I remember the 6.5x52mm Mannlicher-Carcano  shot a bullet of 162 grains at about 2300 fps. With its high sectional density and a FMJ design, it's penetration should be very good. I think Oswald used Italian militarys ammo which employed a round-nosed FMJ.  I don't have any trouble at all believing it would easily penetrate two individuals.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I watched a documentary recently on (Discovery? maybe?) where they recreated the event, used ballistic gel dummies, the shoot easily penetrated both dummies (wrist included), but did not penetrate Gov Connolly's simulated legs.  Was really well made and put together.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
From everything I remember about terminal ballistics the long round nose bullet is very good at going through flesh good penatrator but sucks at long range ballistics. HerbG hit the nail on the head with the cross sectional density.  Look at some of the big game rounds they look very similar but are larger caliber.
The pointed bullets fly long range better but being tail heavy will tumble and generally break up, and not going through a lot of tissue. This is assuming caliber and velocity the same round nose and pointed nose the only difference.
If you look at it for the area IE range and the target he got a 2 for one shot.
I also remember simulations that had some decent shooters taking out jackie in the process due to misses.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
in before epic rambling
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I watched a documentary recently on (Discovery? maybe?) where they recreated the event, used ballistic gel dummies, the shoot easily penetrated both dummies (wrist included), but did not penetrate Gov Connolly's simulated legs.  Was really well made and put together.

I remember that. They set up the situation perfect and ended up with almost identical results. The guy shot from a cherry picker. Pretty amazing stuff. I'd like to see it again.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
That was a very impressive re-creation. The results were almost exactly what happened at Dallas. So, what Gvt group do you think paid for that show?
Actually I do think Oswald pulled the trigger but some stuff in his background is just too much to believe.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#7]
A similar caliber is my choice for most of my deer hunting. The 6.5X54 mannlicher.  It kills way out of proportion to what one sees on paper.  The prefered bullet is a hornady 160 gr round nose.  The real downside is the trajectory, one needs to have everything tight on distance for anything over 150 yards.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have fired AK-47 type weapons into wood cross-ties. The bullet (wolf) held togather and a few of them looked unmarked except by the rifling. I doubt a person is as hard as a cross-tie.

I know the bullet is not identical, but the velocity is.

I don't want to get into it further than that, but wouldn't it just let everyone down to know Oswald really did it?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top