Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 2:16:39 PM EDT
Was not sure which forum to put this in, and since this moves faster and is related I figured I would ask here.

How many rounds do you keep loaded in a single mag? 30 or 28? Seems everyone is different.

I usually keep a 30rd mag with 30 75gr TAP in my AR i use for home defense with the bolt open...so no issues with it not going into the magwell all the way.

I am loading some amgs now with some 855 and 856 I have right now...figured I would post while I am playing. I ask this question because normally the 856 goes every 5th round I believe...but if I put 28 in then that throws it off balance (I am OCD if you couldnt tell)...so guys...you call it...30rds with 24 being 855 and 6 being 856 tracer or 28 with 21 being 855 and 7 being 856?

Ill check back...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
They don't call it a 30 round mag for nothing.  30
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this an M16 (i.e. full auto)?  If not, why would you be loading tracers?  Tacticoolness?
Just wondering.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is this an M16 (i.e. full auto)?  If not, why would you be loading tracers?  Tacticoolness?
Just wondering.

not to be tacticool...i personally dont find them remotely tacticool or anymore tactical than any other bullet.

with that being said...no i do not own an m16, but who says you have to shoot tracers on full auto only? they still light up on semi just the same as full...just plan to do some shooting with my dad when i go visit them this weekend and have always found tracers to be fun. he does, however, have some full auto stuff...not that it is any concern of yours.

this question was mostly to find out what the majority of people do in regards to loading 28 or 30...thanks for displaying your wonderful attitude without contributing to the thread whatsoever!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think that 45-Longslide was intending to be a smarta** or anything, I think he was more curious if you had a personal reason or gut feeling why tracers would be handy in your personal defense mag if you weren't using them for sighting purposes on full auto.  My concern with using tracers in a mag that may be used for personal defense would be burning down my house or the building trying to take a bad guy out.   But, in response to the question, I would load 28 if the mag was tight and wouldn't seat properly with the bolt closed, particularly if you thought they would be stored long term in the mag.   Supposedly MagPul mags are meant to be loaded to 30 and still fully seat...so in that case...fill 'er up!  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't think that 45-Longslide was intending to be a smarta** or anything, I think he was more curious if you had a personal reason or gut feeling why tracers would be handy in your personal defense mag if you weren't using them for sighting purposes on full auto.  My concern with using tracers in a mag that may be used for personal defense would be burning down my house or the building trying to take a bad guy out.   But, in response to the question, I would load 28 if the mag was tight and wouldn't seat properly with the bolt closed, particularly if you thought they would be stored long term in the mag.   Supposedly MagPul mags are meant to be loaded to 30 and still fully seat...so in that case...fill 'er up!  

got ya...and no...these mags will not be use for home defense at all...

i have mags already loaded for home defense plus other mags i run other types of ammo in. these are brand new mags i got that are just going to be "range mags"...i may just go ahead and put 30 in since these will be used solely for that purpose. we have some tannerite so the tracers etc will jsut be used to have fun with and shoot the tannerite etc.

btw...thanks for the intelligent post and input! that is what i was looking for!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just wondering.

not to be tacticool...i personally dont find them remotely tacticool or anymore tactical than any other bullet.

with that being said...no i do not own an m16, but who says you have to shoot tracers on full auto only? they still light up on semi just the same as full...just plan to do some shooting with my dad when i go visit them this weekend and have always found tracers to be fun. he does, however, have some full auto stuff...not that it is any concern of yours.

this question was mostly to find out what the majority of people do in regards to loading 28 or 30...thanks for displaying your wonderful attitude without contributing to the thread whatsoever!

Thin skinned are we (45-Longslide doesn't mean to offend)?  I guess the real question is "do you plan on doing/needing a tactical reload"?  If you need to do a tactical reload there are many people that prefer 28 rounds since it's easier to seat on a closed bolt.  Otherwise, go for 30.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top