Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 7:35:31 PM EDT
I was thinking of buying some of those hard plastic buffers available for my rifles and wonder if using them will affect the cycling and reliability of the action.My wife had purchased some of those hard foam pads that are one inch diameter for putting on furniture ect and wonder if those used might make the recoil buffer last longer,mine have some pretty good rings from the bolt carrier and ought to lessen the spring noise also.Would the hard foam ones from the pack my wife got slow down the ejection and stripping a round from the magazine process?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
From what little I can tell you are headed down the wrong path.  The buffer is meant to bottom out, and the sproing noise can be reduced by cleaning and lubrication...

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanky and that is what I am looking for..Honest advice.If it was a necessary thing I assume the designers would have incorporated it.I guess just because it is for sale does not mean it is beneificial.It might make sense on an Ak on reflection where steel slams steel and I probably should have thought it out in that if the travel of the bolt or carrier is hindered it just may not strip the next round off the magazine or cause a jam.I will pay close atttention to the CLP process to lessen the spring noise.
  The Ar is a whole different breed of cat than my old Mini-14s with lots more to do and glad I am onwards and upwards,just wish I had bought a few years back so the ammo finding and  purchasing these days for them brings tears to the eye and a flat wallet to boot.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
you aren't going to wear out a buffer. but, if you're wanting to slow the action down some, invest in a h2 or h3 buffer, or a 9mm, or if you REALLY wanna slow things down, get yourself a MGI RRB.

ETA be careful you don't go too heavy or you'll start short stroking.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The last thing you ever want to do is stick something inside a weapon that isnt suposed to be there.  The best that can happen is a malfunction and the worst is no good.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top