Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2007 7:19:04 AM EDT
I've recently been buying a brick of .22 every time I stop by WalMart. I figure, as cheap as it it, I have absolutely no excuse for not having gobs of it. My dad, however, said that in his experience, .22lr has a shelf life, and after a few years he says that he's found a significant percentage of it to go dud or be weak.

I have no idea how he was storing that particular ammo, what brand it was, how old it really was, what lot, etc., but I was wondering if there was any truth to this, and if it'd be a waste of money to store up lots and lots of .22lr.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The storage of .22 ammo is really no different than that of other calibers. If the ammo is kept in an area with stable temperature, and humidity, it will last indefinately. Pack the stuff in an ammo can, put a bag of dessicant in the can, and seal it up. Keeping the cans in a basement, or closet is fine. A garage, or shed is not the best choice, because of extremes in temperature.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#2]
silica gel and an ammo can

It will be fine
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I happened upon some British Issue 1930's .22

Not stored very well, primer and powder function perfectly.
However, the lead bullets have oxidized, and swollen as a result, making chambering impossible.

The 1970's UK issue Eley pb still works 100% when taken out of the correct storage.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#4]
My Dad has some old .22 such as Western Auto or Western Field and others over 30 years old, stored in a mostly unheated and definately unairconditioned attic that still work fine.

The problem you will find is that new Wally World bulk pack Federal and Remington can have some bad primers at day one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep them in boxes they will last longer.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top