Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 6:20:37 PM EDT
I recently started carrying Hornady TAP 168 grain .308 ammo in my M-14. I wanted to conduct an informal expansion test of the round so I gathered up a stack of old newsprint approxiately 12 inches thick and taped it together. I let it soak in water for 24 hours in order for it to get really soggy. I then shot it at 25 yards with the M-14. The round exited the stack of newsprint and lodged in the bark of the tree I had it propped up against.

Here is a pic of about 4 inches in where the front of the bullet began to fragment.

Here is a pic of the rest of the round which did not fragment.

The round mushroomed out to .535" at it's smallest diameter.

The round largest measurement was .805 but it included a portion of the copper jacket.

Here is a pic of the bottom of the round.

I am very pleased with it's performance and I plan on keeping it as my carry rounds for my M-14.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Good test, I always wanted to know what that round did in wet news print.  I was always worried that if wet phonebooks attacked, I wouldn't have the right round ready.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, thats good to know.  Just icing on the cake, as I don't really care if it opens at all in one respect.  It shoots dang near 1/2" groups at 100 yds if I can do my part.  If I can pick my spot with that kind of accuracy, it doesn't matter if it mushrooms at all.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I recently started carrying Hornady TAP 168 grain .308 ammo in my M-14. I wanted to conduct an informal expansion test of the round so I gathered up a stack of old newsprint approxiately 12 inches thick and taped it together. I let it soak in water for 24 hours in order for it to get really soggy. I then shot it at 25 yards with the M-14. The round exited the stack of newsprint and lodged in the bark of the tree I had it propped up against.

Here is a pic of about 4 inches in where the front of the bullet began to fragment.
x402.putfile.com/4/10318583019.jpg

Here is a pic of the rest of the round which did not fragment.
x402.putfile.com/4/10318563748.jpg

The round mushroomed out to .535" at it's smallest diameter.
x402.putfile.com/4/10319003199.jpg

The round largest measurement was .805 but it included a portion of the copper jacket.
x402.putfile.com/4/10319013097.jpg

Here is a pic of the bottom of the round.
x402.putfile.com/4/10318593559.jpg

I am very pleased with it's performance and I plan on keeping it as my carry rounds for my M-14.

You might want to make sure it will cycle right in .223 it jams sometimes and brakes the tip
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might want to make sure it will cycle right in .223 it jams sometimes and brakes the tip

I dont think it will fit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont think it will fit.

I think he meant that sometimes in the .223 versions of TAP, the tip can brake off.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
ROFLOL
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]
"I think he meant that sometimes in the .223 versions of TAP, the tip can brake off. "

Or even break off...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top