Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 10:33:52 AM EDT
All you folks out there using the Sierra 52 grain Boat Tail HP and the 53 Grain Flat base HP, what are your groups like with the 1:9 twist.... really looking at those rounds for PD's and paper punching.....may even try a 'yote as well.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

ps...just fixing to buy an AR-15. Don't have one yet but want to get a jump on buying supplies for the weapon.

Again, Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
whats the difference between  Boat tail and flat base?

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
One has a flat base and the other has a boat tail base
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
wow, thanks for the detailed explanation
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
wow, thanks for the detailed explanation

Go look at a reloading book and quit whining.  It really is just that simpe.  

To the original poster, don't ask us, ask your barrel.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, I was asking folks that have used them........which apparently isn't you
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Figure it out.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Actually, I was asking folks that have used them........which apparently isn't you

No, actually I've shot lots of Black Hills Blue 52 bthp's.  They have been very accurate in both of my AR's.  My comment is more that every barrel is different and likes different loads.  They are not all created equal.  One of my uppers hates Q3131A and the other one shoots it very well.  If someone tells you how it works for them, it might not help you one bit.  You have to shoot them in your rifle to find out how it likes it.  It would be shame to buy a case of ammo that shot good in someone elses rifle on the internet and then when you shot it through yours, it was not so good.  You get me?  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:25:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

glarp.atk.com/2004_IRL/Speer/images/Boat%20tail%20rifle%20bullet.jpg

www.ammo-oracle.com/images/fmj.jpg

Figure it out.

Why are boat tails bigger?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Just my .02 cents what i have always been told if you plan on shooting a heavier bullet with the shoter barrels you want a 1 in 7 twist, but I have a 1 and 9 with a 16 in. barrel and seems to be working just fine. It seems to get a enough spin on the bullet to still be effective at 100 plus yards.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#10]
JJREA... I understand what you are getting at. They all shoot a little different. By the same token, there is usually a trend to  be picked up on, which is what I am after. If 9 out of 10 folks with the 1:9 twist have good luck with those bullets, it's worth me buying a box to try..... same token, if the replies as more negative, time to move on to another selection.

By the way...have you tried any of the flat based Sierra HP's... the 53 grainers???

Great info on the Boat tail HP....sounds like you are doing ok with it.

I'm have my first AR on order and I'm hoping to have some sample ammo on hand to play with when the little darling shows up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
JJREA... I understand what you are getting at. They all shoot a little different. By the same token, there is usually a trend to  be picked up on, which is what I am after. If 9 out of 10 folks with the 1:9 twist have good luck with those bullets, it's worth me buying a box to try..... same token, if the replies as more negative, time to move on to another selection.

By the way...have you tried any of the flat based Sierra HP's... the 53 grainers???

Great info on the Boat tail HP....sounds like you are doing ok with it.

I'm have my first AR on order and I'm hoping to have some sample ammo on hand to play with when the little darling shows up.

No, I never tried any of the 53 grainers.  I've actually never seen them in a store and Midway was the only place I've seen them.  It was hornady ammo.  

On another note, some say flat base bullets are more accurate.  But for the most part at closer ranges.  Then the boat tail aerodynamics pays off further out.  Take it for what it's worth but it seems like there's probably merit to that.  I'm not sure what your goal is as far as distance for the ammo but I thought I'd add it in.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the followup info on the long range effect of the Boat tail. It is appreciated
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks for the followup info on the long range effect of the Boat tail. It is appreciated

No problem.   Here's some groups of the 52's with a bone stock colt 1/7 A2, with a scope on the carry handle for testing ammo:

Nothing stellar but it's obviosly not a bench rest gun, and under 2 moa with a stock rifle is pretty good I think.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
All you folks out there using the Sierra 52 grain Boat Tail HP and the 53 Grain Flat base HP, what are your groups like with the 1:9 twist.... really looking at those rounds for PD's and paper punching.....may even try a 'yote as well.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

ps...just fixing to buy an AR-15. Don't have one yet but want to get a jump on buying supplies for the weapon.

Again, Thanks

I've shot both in my 1:9" Colt AR & a few different turn bolt Rifles.  Without exception the 53 gr. HP  Match )Flat Base)  has been consistantly more accurate than the 53 gr. HPBoatTail out to 300 yards!!  Past 300 yards you would probably need the boattail...., but then again the 53 gr. is not really intended for use past 300 yards anyway!!  I use Sierra 63 gr. Semi-Point past 300 yards & it works great in my 1:9"  It too has a Flat Base  Anything heavier & I think you'll need at least  1:8 twister!!

In my guns the 53 gr. HP Match also out shoots the 50 gr. Blitzking as well as the 50 gr. V-Max.

There is a reason match Shooters use "Flat Base" bullets out to 300 yards......, it's because they are more accurate!!

Also..., from my experience Sierra bullets seem to be more accutare than Hornady!!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.   Here's some groups of the 52's with a bone stock colt 1/7 A2, with a scope on the carry handle for testing ammo:

images.snapfish.com/3466%3B%3B%3A%3C5%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D32335785%3C774%3Bnu0mrj

images.snapfish.com/3466%3B%3B%3A%3C5%7Ffp345%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D32335785%3C7754nu0mrj

Nothing stellar but it's obviosly not a bench rest gun, and under 2 moa with a stock rifle is pretty good I think.

You can SEE individual white rings on that target, at 100yds?

At 100yds, all I could see with irons would be the big red rectangle, and just have to put my front sight in the center of it.  I cannot imagine being able to determine and hit the inidividual rings on that target.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Good point!!

Not sure what kind of accuracy the poster is shooting for (pardon the pun!!)

My examples are refuring to use of 14x plus optics trying for sub 1/2 MOA @ 100 yards & sub 1" @ 200 & sub 2" @ 300

Iron sights & small X scopes are not my thing so I wouldn't have a clue about that!!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

images.snapfish.com/3466%3B%3B%3A%3C5%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D32335785%3C774%3Bnu0mrj

images.snapfish.com/3466%3B%3B%3A%3C5%7Ffp345%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D32335785%3C7754nu0mrj

You can SEE individual white rings on that target, at 100yds?

At 100yds, all I could see with irons would be the big red rectangle, and just have to put my front sight in the center of it.  I cannot imagine being able to determine and hit the inidividual rings on that target.

Falarak, I said I had a scope on the carry handle.  Sorry the picture decieved you!!!!!  I've never shot that good with irons.  Well, I did shoot a 1-3/8" 5 shot group from my garand once, with M2 ball.  I was amazed.  But I think 2.5-4 moa is more realistic for iron shooting.  Unless you're a highpower guy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Falarak, I said I had a scope on the carry handle.  

DOH!

My reading comprehension is off.

Hell - I have shot a 1" group with irons at 100 before.... just once.  But I do 2-3" fairly regularly with a good barrel and ammo.

But even that 1" group.... all I can see is the big sighter target outline.... I just try to consistently put the front sight in the same place on the blurr.    I was shooting some clays at 100yds last weekend, and suprisingly, since I got my new glasses, I did just as well with irons on them as I did with my ACOG weapon, offhand.  The clays are a blur, but the contrast is so high they are easy to pick out.

I was about to say - that is some damn fine shooting, and some damned fine vision!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Falarak, I said I had a scope on the carry handle.  

DOH!

My reading comprehension is off.

Hell - I have shot a 1" group with irons at 100 before.... just once.  But I do 2-3" fairly regularly with a good barrel and ammo.

But even that 1" group.... all I can see is the big sighter target outline.... I just try to consistently put the front sight in the same place on the blurr.    I was shooting some clays at 100yds last weekend, and suprisingly, since I got my new glasses, I did just as well with irons on them as I did with my ACOG weapon, offhand.  The clays are a blur, but the contrast is so high they are easy to pick out.

I was about to say - that is some damn fine shooting, and some damned fine vision!

If I shoot with the irons, I usually try and use a black bull.  That's whay I've learned from the Garand Collecters Association guy.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top