Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:11:07 PM EDT
I am narrowing down my choices for a hunting load this spring to take hog hunting. I will be using a .308 and my buddy will have a .30-06.

I am considering the Federal Power Shok 150gr or 180gr, and Remington Core-lokts in 150gr.

However, I have noticed that the Fusion line by Federal has gotten quite common. They offer 150, 165 and 180gr loads in .308. I think the 150gr or especially the 165gr would be just right.

Has anyone hunted with the Fusion line yet, and how did it work? Would you pick it over the standard Federal or Remington?

My friend will use whatever equivalent load in .30-06 I pick in .308.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I like what I have read but I have no real world experience with the ammo.  Sorry I can't help you.  The box sure is eye-catching.

I have used nothing but core-lokt stuff for the last several years, and I think I will make the switch to the fusion line next season.  I am not all that impressed with the performance of the Remington rounds anyway.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I like what I have read but I have no real world experience with the ammo.  Sorry I can't help you.  The box sure is eye-catching.

I have used nothing but core-lokt stuff for the last several years, and I think I will make the switch to the fusion line next season.  I am not all that impressed with the performance of the Remington rounds anyway.

Thanks for the reply. What did you notice with the Core-lokts? Did they have trouble expanding or did you get some that shed the jacket?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
My problem with them has been accuracy issues.  I have a Winchester Model 70 30-06 and I am hard pressed to keep groups under 4 inches at 100 yards with the stuff.  The winchester ammo shoots to less than 2 inches.  I don't know what it is about the Remington ammo in this rifle (only one with this problem), but it definitely doesn't like the core-lokt.

I am hoping that the uniform weight and balance of the fusion line will lend itself to better accuracy.  Funny thing is I shoot tighter groups offhand with my AR and a Eotech than I can with a scoped Winchester from a bench.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my hunting friends was shooting Fusion this year during deer season.  He was shooting a 7mm-08 & 308, both in Remmy 700's.  His hunting season was cut short by a family emergency, so he didn't get to shoot anything to judge terminal ballistics, but he commented that the rounds grouped well.  If I wasn't a handloader I think that's what I would shoot.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have shot the 180gr Federal Power Shoks and my .308 seems to like them. It shoots under 2" at 100yds which is not bad for factory soft points.

I dont think I will have accuracy problems with the Rem core-lokts as I have handloaded the 165gr pills in .308 and this particular rifle likes the bullet. However, that says nothing about how consistent Remington is with their powder charge. I have not tried them in factory loadings yet, only my handloads. I think if I go with them, I may pull all of the bullets and weigh the powder charges and find the average. Then remeasure each charge to that average and reload the rounds. I think as long as you keep the powder charge consistent, core lokts shoot pretty good. They shoot good in 8mm Mauser and .303 British.

It is interesting however that my K31 hates those very same .308cal 165gr core lokts and shoots them all over the target, while my Tikka T3 and M1903A3 shoot them just fine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a stainless Tikka in .30-06 with a 3x9 Trijicon Accupoint.

My local retailer got a bunch of Federal Fusion in so I decided to try it this hunting season.

Out of all the ammo I tried the 165 gr. Fusion is the most accurate load I have tried in my Tikka.

My 3 shot groups average around 5/8".

So far I have only killed one deer with this round, a 5 point buck at approx 150 yards.

He went 3 steps and fell over , tail twitching and never moved again.

The bullet completely penetrated , massive damage to both lungs , exit wound the size of a quarter.

Out of curiosity I tried the 95 gr. load in my Kimber .243.

This rifle has never shot better than 1 1/8" with anything . It shot 3/4" with the Fusion.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#7]
for a second I thought it said how do you like "Federal Prison"
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a stainless Tikka in .30-06 with a 3x9 Trijicon Accupoint.

My local retailer got a bunch of Federal Fusion in so I decided to try it this hunting season.

Out of all the ammo I tried the 165 gr. Fusion is the most accurate load I have tried in my Tikka.

My 3 shot groups average around 5/8".

So far I have only killed one deer with this round, a 5 point buck at approx 150 yards.

He went 3 steps and fell over , tail twitching and never moved again.

The bullet completely penetrated , massive damage to both lungs , exit wound the size of a quarter.

Out of curiosity I tried the 95 gr. load in my Kimber .243.

This rifle has never shot better than 1 1/8" with anything . It shot 3/4" with the Fusion.

Thats very good to hear. 5/8" is outstanding accuracy. I have only been able to get 1/2" groups with my gun with 168gr HPBT handloads. It sounds like this bullet does its job, i'll have to pick up a few boxes today along with some Remington and test them.

for a second I thought it said how do you like "Federal Prison"

Just dont drop the soap!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top