Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2006 5:40:51 PM EDT
I recently picked up some .223 55gr 40 round value packs from the local walmart (thanks Dusty_C, they had not carried them previously)

I mostly bought this ammo for practice, but I was wondering....

WWB seems to be pretty good shit.
Very clean and accurate in the other cartridge sizes I have bought (7.62x39, .45ACP, 9mm, .30 Carbine)
So my question is as follows:

Will WWB .223 fragment?
If so, at what ranges?
Will ballistic performance be simaliar to M193 (I know WWB is about 100FPS slower)

Thank you in advance,
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently picked up some .223 55gr 40 round value packs from the local walmart (thanks Dusty_C, they had not carried them previously)

I mostly bought this ammo for practice, but I was wondering....

WWB seems to be pretty good shit.
Very clean and accurate in the other cartridge sizes I have bought (7.62x39, .45ACP, 9mm, .30 Carbine)
So my question is as follows:

Will WWB .223 fragment?
If so, at what ranges?
Will ballistic performance be simaliar to M193 (I know WWB is about 100FPS slower)

Thank you in advance,

The bullet design used in WWB is pretty similar to M193 (copper jacketed FMJBT with exposed lead base).  The main difference is WWB usually is .223 Rem commercial brass these days instead of the WCC military surplus 5.56 brass it used to be, and it is also not usually crimped in primers, nor does it usually have the nail-polish looking primer sealant.  I haven't chrono'd any, so I can't verify that 100fps figure.  It seems like a bigger difference than what the difference in report and recoil would suggest.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
dont know about the other stuff but the wwb ive bought at wally world latley

"IS" sealed"......looks like a black tar.....

it is all also made in isreal.....

if intrested ill post pics and lot numbers just im me so i dont forget"old age
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:23:10 AM EDT
[#3]
WWB 55gr FMJ is good practice ammo. The WWB 40 round value pack I have the bullet is sealed and crimped. The Primers appear to have some sort of sealant, but are not crimped. It is .223 pressure ammo.
There is a gentleman on here that goes by AR Kitty Kat  that shot  a hog with the WWb .223 and it did not fragment like the Q3131A he normally uses. I still would not want to be shot with it at close range.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:08:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I think someone here chrono'd it out to 2950 fps.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#5]
The sealer in the case mouth is pretty much Mil-STD asphaltic varnish, just like used in U.S. military ammo.  This is probably because the stuff IMI makes for Winchester is made on the same lines as their actual military ammunition.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The rounds I crono'ed were just over 3000 fsp out of my 20 inch bushmaster.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
WWB 55gr FMJ is good practice ammo. The WWB 40 round value pack I have the bullet is sealed and crimped. The Primers appear to have some sort of sealant, but are not crimped. It is .223 pressure ammo.
There is a gentleman on here that goes by AR Kitty Kat  that shot  a hog with the WWb .223 and it did not fragment like the Q3131A he normally uses. I still would not want to be shot with it at close range.

Yes, I remember that.  And I remember he said it actually did more damage than the 55 grain soft points he tried.  

Having said that, the bullets are not the same.  The jacket is thicker.  It may fragment but only at extremely close range and not as much as an M193 bullet.  

But now having said that, I'm on the side of the fence that thinks it'd probably work in a pinch.  

But now having said that, there are much better self defense loads you could buy.

Now having said that....... Just kidding.  That was getting old, eh?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I would not want to be shot with it at close or long range!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top