Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2005 7:33:16 AM EDT
Due to the previous thread beig archived, I have to start a new post.

Previous results
211 responses
147 had no problems
43 had minor problems
21 had major problems

This thread is ONLY about the LOOSE boxed XM855PD variant

Please add your personal experience with Lake City XM855PD ammunition to this thread. When you do, please give information about:
1) Firearm used in
2) Approximate number of rounds fired.

I am trying to solicit only information about your PERSONAL experience with this ammunition. If you haven't used it, then please don't clutter up the thread. Information about proper functioning (or lack thereof) is obviously the most important, but factors such as the accuracy or other peculiarities you've noticed are informative also. If you have had problems with this ammo which were severe enough to cause you to stop using this ammo, then please describe them. And one more minor request: keep your reviews objective.

This is part of the FAQ Troy has written about this ammo:

This comes up over and over again, so here are the facts. And, no, no one here knows what "PD" really stands for, if anything.

The Lake City Army Ammunition Plant is the only remaining small-arms ammo factory owned by the government, and is the source of most ammo used by the US military. [Due to the drastic increase in ammo usage with the WoT, Winchester/Olin, the only other company with the loading machines to make mil-spec ammo, has been given a contract for a few million rounds of ammo.]

Lake City, while owned by the government, has always been run by civilian contractors. From 1986-1999, it was operated by Olin (Winchester). The Winchester "white box" "Q-load" ammo (such as Q3131) was Lake City-manufactured ammo stamped with Winchester (WCC) headstamps.

Starting in 2000, the contract to operate Lake City was given to Alliant Techsystems (ATK), who had just bought all the gun-related companies that were formerly owned by Blount. This "shooting sports group" included: Federal, Speer, CCI, RCBS, Weaver, Outers, Ramline, and perhaps one or two others. ATK chose Federal to run Lake City, and thus, the "Federal XMxxx" loads were born.

The US military has extremely tough and strict requirements for ammo, and many layers of Quality Control (QC) checks to ensure that contract ammo is up to spec. Obviously, as with any mass-produced item, some of the product is going to fail QC.

LC-produced ammo that passes all the QC checks is packaged up and sent out to fulfill military contracts. I call this "Grade 1" ammo, which means "the best." Note that ammo that is delivered to the military can no longer be surplussed as whole ammo, due to an Executive Order by Klinton in 1997, so as a rule, this ammo will never be available on the commercial market.

Ammo that fails QC in a minor way, such as not being completely moisture-sealed, but is otherwise good ammo is "Grade 2". That's what "XM193" is that Federal sells in 20-round boxes: Grade 2 ammo. The same with XM855.

Ammo that has more serious problems, such as severe dents, bent rounds, split necks, and so on, is "Grade 3" (or worse). Federal is selling this as XM193PD and XM855PD, and packs it loose in 500 round boxes. (For those who haven't been around long, loose-packed ammo is almost always Grade 3 or lower quality, no matter who you buy it from. If it was higher quality, it would have been boxed up and sold at full price!)

It is important to understand that batches of Grade 2 ammo may be made up of a mix of Grade 1 and Grade 2, and that Grade 3 ammo may have both Grade 1 and Grade 2 ammo mixed in. The grade is given based on the worst ammo in the lot.

XM193PD (Grade 3) is sold at a discount compared to the boxed XM193 (Grade 2), and real M193 is not available to the public (unless it was surplussed before 1997). Discounted prices on ammo generally mean the ammo is lower quality, especially when the same ammo is sold for two or more different prices, so this really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Also note that the PD loads are clearly marked "For Practice Use Only", another indication that this is DEFINITELY NOT Grade 1 (or even Grade 2) ammo.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion you might have. For those who have purchased "PD" ammo, make sure you hand-sort it first, and cull out any bad rounds. Also, be prepared for a squib load or any other unusual behavior, and make sure you know what to do when and if something occurs.

Finally, do NOT use the PD ammo for anything "important", and especially not for duty or defensive use. This is bargain ammo that will give performance and reliability in proportion to its selling price. TANSTAAFL!

-Troy

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Not only did the previous post get archived, but it doesn't show up on the archive server. When it does, I will try to get the summary of the previous posts back up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I got 2000 rounds of it, intending to use 500 and stash the other 1500. So far I've only used 90 rounds out of it.
All the rounds looked good. I didn't count them, but they all looked fine. Maybe 5 rounds total out of 2000 with the bullet seated a "wee" bit too deep. But so much as to toss them out.

Out of the 90, all went bang, and they punch through 1/4" steel plates like a paper punch through warm butter.

Bushmaster XM15.  11" BBL.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
2k, tossed maybe 5. Not pretty but function great.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 6,000 rounds of XM855PD, I have inspected and gone through  every round,and I have used  around 2,000 rounds in a Colt 6600, 6601, and a ArmaLite M15A2

Not one single problem, I am goingto highly recommend it
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have bought this ammo from SportmansGuide twice.
Both orders of 500 rounds were great, no bent rounds.
I think the best part was the price.
1st order $104 for 500 rounds delivered (still had club membership)
2nd order came to $109 for 500 rounds delivered.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It looks fine and shoots fine.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#7]
about 400 of a 1000 so far and all good to go....

i picked out about 25/35 just to be safe

not one problem
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Good stuff, though you have pay attention to under powered rnds. Ihaven't had any that did't make it out the barrel though I have had a few that made me look down the barrel to be sure. About a half dozen out of 1-1.5 k fired.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Had 2 that got lodged in the throat, not alowing another round to chamber.  Both were knocked out with no dammage.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
1k from Ammoman--not a single problem
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]
1.  16" Bushmaster and Mini-14
2.  250 rounds so far

No problems
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Good stuff, though you have pay attention to under powered rnds. Ihaven't had any that did't make it out the barrel though I have had a few that made me look down the barrel to be sure. About a half dozen out of 1-1.5 k fired.

Same with me...
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#13]
several minor dings.most rounds had the green tip paint wearing off.sound fine thru a Bushy 16" and aColt MT lightwt
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]
1400K rounds

inpectes and threw out about 15-20 rounds.

It has always gone bang.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#15]
comming up on 3k of the stuff and not a single reject or problem
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top