Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2005 5:01:44 PM EDT
Maybe it's just me and I was having a horrible technique day....BUT

But I shot some British surplus 5.56 at soda cans out to about 50 yards using my chinese ACOG clone 6x scope, 14.5 inch with perm a2 barrel, 1/7 twist, cmmg barrel.

I was able to hit all the soda cans on the first shot.

The next week I rezeroed with the same setup using some paper targets at about 10 yards. I was shooting at some ballistics gel. I did'nt have any British surp left. I was using some lake city green tip my friend bought. I was able to hit the ballistics gel on the first shot at around 10-12 yards, but when I placed it out to about 25~ yards, I was not able to hit it even after 5 shots or so. It was very wierd. Maybe I wasnt as zeroed as I thought I was?????

Then again, I was wondering whether there is some drastic difference between the ballistics of the heavy steel core british load and the lake city green tip???? My general understanding is that the heavier bullets perform better in the short twist barrels, like mine, but for gods sake, i didnt think it would make a big difference at 10-25 yards!!!!! Any ideas????????????

Thanks,

Mike R
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Maybe it's just me and I was having a horrible technique day....BUT

But I shot some British surplus 5.56 at soda cans out to about 50 yards using my chinese ACOG clone 6x scope, 14.5 inch with perm a2 barrel, 1/7 twist, cmmg barrel.

I was able to hit all the soda cans on the first shot.

The next week I rezeroed with the same setup using some paper targets at about 10 yards. I was shooting at some ballistics gel. I did'nt have any British surp left. I was using some lake city green tip my friend bought. I was able to hit the ballistics gel on the first shot at around 10-12 yards, but when I placed it out to about 25~ yards, I was not able to hit it even after 5 shots or so. It was very wierd. Maybe I wasnt as zeroed as I thought I was?????

Then again, I was wondering whether there is some drastic difference between the ballistics of the heavy steel core british load and the lake city green tip???? My general understanding is that the heavier bullets perform better in the short twist barrels, like mine, but for gods sake, i didnt think it would make a big difference at 10-25 yards!!!!! Any ideas????????????

Thanks,

Mike R
[email protected]

The british ammo and the M855 have the same weight bullet, a 62 grain round, the change in point of impact may because of varying powder charges or many other variations in manufacture, I have found that even with the same grain bullet, that different manufacturers ammo will have a diff POI, as much difference as 12" at 50 yards.

Also, the accuracy of your gun is not so much affected by bullet weight (unless the bullet is not properly stabilized, or you are using really light weight varmint bullets) but by bullet construction, the most accurate bullet for your gun should be any of the heavy OTMs, probably the 75 or 77 grainers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Mike, first your ammo is the same weight, green tip is 62 grain steel penetrator and so is the Brit ammo. They do not use the green tips as they never used the 55 grain ammo and don't have to worry about mixing them. Both are SS-109 bullets.If you were not on paper, you were not zeroed correctly, at 25 yards it should not matter what you are shooting as there won't be that huge of a difference. How big were the blocks of geletin? I'd zero at the range I was shooting at the gel myself. Is this an A2 upper? You might be running into parallex problems if you are using an ACOG on top of the carry handle. That could make a difference.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses guys. I don't really know who to believe. I think it may be the scope, I think I may not be properly zeroed, or maybe my cheek weld position was slightly off or something, and so the point I was shooting for in the scope was not the POI.

I'll go back to the range and try again and make sure I scope in properly. I am mounting the ACOG clone ($40) directly on top of the flat top.

So are you saying that, for my 1/7 barrel, 14.5 inch, I should go for the heaviest bullet possible, something 75-77 grain????? What is OTM bullet?

Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The blocks of gel were about 6" cubed. I'm going to post the pics comparing the perfomance of 9mm ball, 9mm extreme shock, and 5.56 in a new topic soon.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses guys. I don't really know who to believe. I think it may be the scope, I think I may not be properly zeroed, or maybe my cheek weld position was slightly off or something, and so the point I was shooting for in the scope was not the POI.

I'll go back to the range and try again and make sure I scope in properly. I am mounting the ACOG clone ($40) directly on top of the flat top.

So are you saying that, for my 1/7 barrel, 14.5 inch, I should go for the heaviest bullet possible, something 75-77 grain????? What is OTM bullet?

Mike

Yes, you should go with the 75 or 77 grain round. An OTM just means Open Tip Match, It looks like a hollow point because of manufacturing process, but acts like a full metal jacket round, as it fragments. It will have the best accuracy and the best terminal ballistics of all 5.56/.223 loads availible.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top