Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2005 1:13:56 PM EDT
Just kidding around, I don't have that much ammo.

But seriously, why stock up on 5,000-10,000 rounds of ammo when you will probably never use it.  I understand if some guys buy 5,000 rounds then go shooting and blow it all in time, then order more.  If you are storing it in underground bunkers, in ammo cans, etc. do you think you will ever use it?  I know there is always that feeling that someday you will need it, but most likely not.
Personally I only have 200 rounds of M855 sitting for when/if TSHTF.  The rest of the stuff I want to shoot.

Go ahead and flame on....
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I do it to piss of the hunters when they ask why I need 3k rounds of ammo when I'm at the range.

I also like to give my UPS guy a good work out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a stock pile due to finances; however I would if I could because we never know when someone may make .223 a dangerous and forbidden ammo???
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thats about it.  Me and a few guys at work did a group buy and ended up ordering 10k rounds mix of 12g and 5.56.

He hated me that day since he got to delivere it to my place.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can't burn 5000 rds of ammo over a few years you don't practice enough.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Have it and not need vs need it and not have it....

If, and I acknoledge it is a BIG if, you need it for real you will have no sources what the time comes....

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#7]
With the political and social environment being what it is today, I see guns and ammo as one of the smartest investments you can make.
You know there is a rabid anti-gun rally with strong political support eager to disarm you, don't you?
The high likelihood of future bans (on both guns and the ammo they shoot) creates scarcity which increases value.

Intrinsic value for you (having it so you don't have to pay crazy prices, maybe so high that you can't afford it to defend yourself and your family.)
Value as an investment (selling it after the bans for LOTS of money for all the poor SOBs who were too stupid to realize that things will get worse before they get better WRT all things "gun".

Banning ammo has happened before (bought any NEW armor piercing ammo lately?) They will keep trying.
Your guns are nothing more than expensize clubs without ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's not what I am talking about.  I am talking about the guys that pack the stuff in ammo boxes and seal it away for good.  If you buy a ton of ammo and shoot it over the years, fine, but why waste the money (thousands) to store stuff that you only plan on using in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
With the political and social environment being what it is today, I see guns and ammo as one of the smartest investments you can make.
You know there is a rabid anti-gun rally with strong political support eager to disarm you, don't you?
The high likelihood of future bans (on both guns and the ammo they shoot) creates scarcity which increases value.

Intrinsic value for you (having it so you don't have to pay crazy prices, maybe so high that you can't afford it to defend yourself and your family.)
Value as an investment (selling it after the bans for LOTS of money for all the poor SOBs who were too stupid to realize that things will get worse before they get better WRT all things "gun".

Banning ammo has happened before (bought any NEW armor piercing ammo lately?) They will keep trying.

i agree, THEY force me to buy this arsenal and ammo dump that im currently sitting on. i WILL not let them dicatate what i can and cant have.......
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#10]
curious to see pics of your ammo dump.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not what I am talking about.  I am talking about the guys that pack the stuff in ammo boxes and seal it away for good.  If you buy a ton of ammo and shoot it over the years, fine, but why waste the money (thousands) to store stuff that you only plan on using in a SHTF situation.

A SHTF scenario, to me, is beyond just a NO social unrest.  The biggest SHTF scenario that has motivated my build up of very significant quantities of ammo is government restrictions/monitoring/whatever you want to call it, of ammunition.  I'm hedging that ammo restrictiions will be the governments first foray into 2nd ammendment restrictions.  "YOU CAN HAVE YOUR GUNS....NOW JUST TRY TO GET AMMO FOR THEM"....thus my stockpiles
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
You can never have to much ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Because it looks so cool when stacked up against the wall.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

But seriously, why stock up on 5,000-10,000 rounds of ammo when you will probably never use it.  I understand if some guys buy 5,000 rounds then go shooting and blow it all in time, then order more.  If you are storing it in underground bunkers, in ammo cans, etc. do you think you will ever use it?  I know there is always that feeling that someday you will need it, but most likely not.
Personally I only have 200 rounds of M855 sitting for when/if TSHTF.  The rest of the stuff I want to shoot.

Why stock up?

Ammo rarely if ever gets cheaper.

I shoot well over 10k per year in just 9mm and .223, and several thousand more in .45 and .308. Machineguns require lots of ammo.

Good ammo disappears fast,  I've missed the boat on certain brands and types before, now I buy in bulk when its around.

When....not IF the shit hits the fan, the last thing I want to be concerned with is finding ammo that may or may not be available locally. It is better to have it and not need it than need and not be able to obtain it. It's hard enough to get bulk ammo where I live now let alone under some type of state of emergency. Prior planning prevents.......

Ammo is the only thing that keeps a gun useful as a tool. I want my tools to be useful at all times.

If I never get to use it, it still has intrinsic value and can be sold or used by my family.

Need I list more reasons to have a good stock?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Because, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

200 rnds are you kidding, I shoot that much on one outing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Because, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

200 rnds......I shoot that much on one belt in a minute or two!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#17]
A recent archaelogical expedition to the bottom of my closet revealed a case of Winchester 55 ball from about 1986 or so.  I was all ready to cut away the carefully wrapped plastic and several layers of tape to answer the ultimate question...is it Q3131 or USA?!  I decided to leave it alone.  In the end it was reinterned to hibernate another fifth of a century, in the company of a virgin case of Fed AE from 1993 I had forgotten about.

Anybody remember the Hansen battle packs of Izzy made M193?
Hansen SS109?
Canadian SS109?

My closet is recording the history of whatever ammo was available during different times in my life...I do it for the children.

Paladin

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy bulk when it is cheap!  If your basement floor isn't cracked yet by the weight of your stash, buy more.  If it it cracked, buy more and place in a different location.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
ANSWER: One word: "LIBERALS!"
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ANSWER: One word: "LIBERALS!"

+1

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't have 10,000 rounds but I have more than 200.  

I think stock piling 10,000 rounds for SHTF is unrealistic.  It would be very hard to carry that much ammo in a normal vehicle.  I think having 10,000 rounds for SHTF and practice is more realistic.  

Your SHTF ammo should be premium ammo and the number of rounds you can realistically carry to get the hell out to where ever you need to go.  The rest of the 10,000 rounds should be for practice not your premium SHTF ammo.   I can understand rotating your SHTF ammo, to practice ammo, when you replace it with newer or better SHTF ammo.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think stock piling 10,000 rounds for SHTF is unrealistic.  It would be very hard to carry that much ammo in a normal vehicle.  I think having 10,000 rounds for SHTF and practice is more realistic.  

I see where some people are missing the point here.

Some people describe SHTF as the government making certain types of ammo less or completely unavailable to civillians.  In this scenario, what you have is what you have and nothing more.  So say you've got 10,000 rounds of ammo and suddenly the .gov bans it... Now that's SHTF.  Basically, you don't touch that ammo for anything but absolute necessity (minimal trips to the range for practice at most) until the REAL SHTF.  Now you've got a rifle and ammo.

At the very least, from a collector/value or EVEN survival perspective... If .223 ammo was suddenly banned, you could be sure that whatever you've got will be worth it's weight in gold.

Get it people?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yep.  The 2A doesn't say "The right of the people to keep and bear arms and ammunition shall not be infringed."

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ever heard of HCI?
VPC?
Hillary Clinton?
the ATF?

They all want to ban guns - and they think ammo bans are the wave of the future.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#25]
KNOBCREEK--A SHTF scenario, to me, is beyond just a NO social unrest. The biggest SHTF scenario that has motivated my build up of very significant quantities of ammo is government restrictions/monitoring/whatever you want to call it, of ammunition. I'm hedging that ammo restrictiions will be the governments first foray into 2nd ammendment restrictions. "YOU CAN HAVE YOUR GUNS....NOW JUST TRY TO GET AMMO FOR THEM"....thus my stockpiles.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is a very real possability and one of the best reasons I have read yet !!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
curious to see pics of your ammo dump.

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
KNOBCREEK--A SHTF scenario, to me, is beyond just a NO social unrest. The biggest SHTF scenario that has motivated my build up of very significant quantities of ammo is government restrictions/monitoring/whatever you want to call it, of ammunition. I'm hedging that ammo restrictiions will be the governments first foray into 2nd ammendment restrictions. "YOU CAN HAVE YOUR GUNS....NOW JUST TRY TO GET AMMO FOR THEM"....thus my stockpiles.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is a very real possability and one of the best reasons I have read yet !!!

This is exactly why I have what I have, the easist "bans" are the one's imposed by "sin" taxes and fee's. Remember Moynahans 10,000 percent ammo tax proposal? Do you really think that the tax was nothing more then a ban, by which the Govt could basically kill the sales of firearms by pricing the ammo for them out of reach by any but govt and the very wealthy? What I have is MINE, paid for, and is a durable good, meaning that if stored properly it will last my lifetime and more.
I have no doubt that the first federal ban to effect all guns will be ammo based and will consist of either an exorbitant tax or limits on the type, IE HP, Rifle AP, and caliber. [Remember, MANY countries already ban the use of "military" calibers. I can certainly see the UN trying to ban ammo sales across borders, WHOOPS!!!!!!!! They are already trying that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A SHTF scenario, to me, is beyond just a NO social unrest.  The biggest SHTF scenario that has motivated my build up of very significant quantities of ammo is government restrictions/monitoring/whatever you want to call it, of ammunition.  I'm hedging that ammo restrictiions will be the governments first foray into 2nd ammendment restrictions.  "YOU CAN HAVE YOUR GUNS....NOW JUST TRY TO GET AMMO FOR THEM"....thus my stockpiles

Good point.  I think it was Kennedy who said there should be a ban or HEAVY tax on ammo.

I read somewhere the USA has like a 50 year supply of firearms (how'd they figure that one?!?!) but only 3 year supply of ammunition....
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]
10,000 rounds is a good start
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:20:12 AM EDT
[#30]
To all,
I meant I have 200 rounds of M855 that I will not shoot and only keep in case of SHTF.  It is 04 stamped winchester boxed 20round.  Now I have a case of IMI and some BHBB, still waiting on some m193 to show up in stores.  Granted I may have around 5,000 rounds in the house but that is all shooting ammo.

If you have to run out of your house with 5 cases of ammo, it might be hard to do.  If you throw it in your car that is another story.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I buy ammo as if I will not be able to in the future.  Same thing for bore brushes, cleaning patches, good gun oil, and bore cleaner.  If all commerce stops today at noon, it won't be that big of a disaster.

OTOH, I move a lot, and can attest that hauling 14,000 rounds of assorted centerfire ammo across the country in the back of your pickup is not too fun.  Especially if you keep the stuff in those gigantic 40mm ammo cans....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I buy ammo as if I will not be able to in the future.  Same thing for bore brushes, cleaning patches, good gun oil, and bore cleaner.  If all commerce stops today at noon, it won't be that big of a disaster.

OTOH, I move a lot, and can attest that hauling 14,000 rounds of assorted centerfire ammo across the country in the back of your pickup is not too fun.  Especially if you keep the stuff in those gigantic 40mm ammo cans....

No shit!!!  I moved a few year ago with about 8000 rounds.  A  huge pain in the ass, but well worth the discomfort
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Why?  Well, because we can...

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#34]
What other "investment" these days pays a 20% return? That's the amount that ammo, especially .223 is up over the last two years. Actually it's probably more than that.

I picked up a copy of Shotgun News the other day from about two years ago. You could buy South African surplus .223 for about $120 a thousand plus ship. There is none of that ammo on the market right now but lets say that the IMI that Wideners has is about the same stuff. That will cost you $165 a thousand plus ship. Hmm.....

Plus, about the only thing that Enron stock certificates are good for is toilet paper right now-expensive TP at that. I can at least shoot the ammo and sell the brass! It has intrinsic worth as others have pointed out.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Why stock up?

Ammo rarely if ever gets cheaper.

I shoot well over 10k per year in just 9mm and .223, and several thousand more in .45 and .308. Machineguns require lots of ammo.

Good ammo disappears fast,  I've missed the boat on certain brands and types before, now I buy in bulk when its around.

+1000

I snubbed my nose at the cheap Norinco 7.62x39 back in the mid 90's, stuff was as low as $80 for 1440 rounds.   When the Chinese stuff dried up, I was forced to reload, so I hoarded components.  Then the Russian and east European stuff poppped up.  I'd buy a case of Wolf here, a case there.  It was $80/K then, last gun show it was $110/K.

I had the foresight to snag a case of 7.62x39 every quarter when I goto the gunshow, so I had 4K of it, but used up 1K of it.

Now look at the situation: Chinese stuff gone for over 10 years, Russian stuff going up and up in price.

My saving grace is I have 10,000 7.62x39 projectiles ready for reloading
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#36]
It gets more expensive and harder to find over time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Because I can, for one. Others have listed all the other reasons as well. Lastly, please see my sig line...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#38]
This is a technical forum.

Go post bullshit like this in GD or the Pit for that matter you moron.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

SHit I can burn through 5k in 6months without trying... It's just a question of having enough money to buy enough ammo, which I don't have enough of, ammo or money.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#40]
My pile just keeps growing.

Now that it is so hard to find Q3131A and M193, I am glad that I have around 1500 rounds of Q3131A and over 3k rounds of M193.

I'm changing over to Wolf for most plinking and practice using my Bushmasters.    My JP Enterprises gun will remain a handload and quality ammo only proposition.     Probably gonna get 3-4 cases of Wolf to keep on hand for burning through the AR15s.

Next I need to really stock up on some 7.62Nato.    Got 2k rounds of Aussie F4 on Bandoleers that if I burn up I will have little else in storage, have 750 rounds of Dynamit Nobel 7.62 plus my handloads.      Probably gonna get a bunch of Agentine and put the Aussie into storage.

I've learned well from my adversary, the squirrel, store nuts for the winter.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
My pile just keeps growing.
home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/misc/ammo%20stack.jpg

Looks like ammo for a nice afternoon shoot.  Where is the main stash?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#42]
let them hord it in ammo cans.......if you need it 10-20 years from know half of it will be no good......i dont have one round in my house that is over a year old................well exept that 40mm anti-armor  shell
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#43]
if i read it right of in the amory side of the forums where the c&r section is with the discount you get with the c&r at midway is 149.00 per 1000 rnds x 10 =10000 rnds for 1490.00.

i borrowed this post from brillo from the c&r forum

A good deal from Midway on XM855PD ammo, SS109 5.56 62gr steel penetrator, shipped loose/bulk, retail $189.99/1000 + shipping, C&R $149.99/1000 + shipping. Compare other XM855PD prices at the Ammo Price List.

not bad to stock up with it being that cheap or get wolf for 110.00 per 1000 rnds little bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
let them hord it in ammo cans.......if you need it 10-20 years from know half of it will be no good......i dont have one round in my house that is over a year old................well exept that 40mm anti-armor  shell

1/2 will be no good in 10-20 years? Thats a good one. I was shooting some stuff from 1990 the past week, I believe Hansen made it. ALL went bang fine. Had some WW2 .45 stuff given to me a while back [yes it's corrosive] All went bang, I was suprised at that myself. Had some 68 and 69 match GI ammo [.45] all went bang fine too, actually was pretty darn good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I shoot 80's produced mil-spec 308 (Argentine and S.African) ammo all the time out of my FALs.  I promise you, it goes bang very reliably.  If it mil-spec ammo, and has been stored correctly it will work well in the future.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's what my 10k rnds looks like. $75/1000 with a little powder left over.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Here's what my 10k rnds looks like. $75/1000 with a little powder left over.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/10000rnds.jpg

That's my next step, reloading.  I have 8000 + rounds of yet to be shot, reloadable brass.  Definitely a next step, especially as ammo prices continue to escalate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I shot that much .308 last weekend.

I'm planning on shooting up 500 rounds of 9mm subsonic ammo this coming weekend.

On the other hand I'm behind on my 5.56 shooting this year.  I seemed to have overestimated by one or two cases the amount I was going to shoot this year.
So I’ll shoot it up next year!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
This is a technical forum.

Go post bullshit like this in GD or the Pit for that matter you moron.

Suggested fix to remove personal attack.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Flash:  

1,215 members of ARFCOM, a militia related group of AR 15 worshipping, terrorist "gun nuts," were arrested in a nationwide sting operation involving a total of 12 million rounds of deadly, military, armor piercing, 5.56 caliber,  "M855" ammunition.  This vast group of right wing conspiritors each had, on average, an ARSENAL of 10,000 rounds of this deadly cop killer ammunition in addition to an average of 8 deadly high power non hunting weapons each.  

Glen Graff, of Fayetteville, Arkansas, one of the terrorists, said, "The 2nd Amendment doesn't have anything to do with hunting, this is for Zombies!"  

He, and others, are being held without bail pending indictment.

Sorry, couldn't help it.  But I got to thinking about a co worker who, after she commented she thought anyone who would have a thousand rounds in posession was a danger to the public, looked at me when I told her I could burn through a thousand rounds in a weekend, easy.  She likes me, but doesn't know what to do with me.

Rick
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top