Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2005 3:31:00 PM EDT
Longer bullet then the standard winchester 55 gr I'm using, but will it be less accurate or more accurate? Will the twist rate (1/9) be to little??? Just wondering if there was any negative effects, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It shoots fine. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Longer bullet then the standard winchester 55 gr I'm using, but will it be less accurate or more accurate? Will the twist rate (1/9) be to little??? Just wondering if there was any negative effects, thanks.

I'll meet you at the state line and take it off your hands and properly dispose of it for you.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Ammo-Oracle
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#4]
NOOOOOOOOOooooo, don't shoot it!  It might ruin YOUR rifle.  Send all your 885 to me at once.  Don't worry, I'll take care of the ammo and properly dispose of it.  You wont have to deal with that nasty stuff again.    shuuuuuu, be quite guys, it's MY turn.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
i have about 1500 rnds of m855 in my ammo cans i was using it at mt highpower league competitions shoots awsome i have been in the high 400 low 500 with the m855
but now im going to sit on the stuff never know when i might need to take out a 1 inch thick brake rotor again (was putting 1/4 inch holes in a brake rotor off a heavy duity truck! completly destroying the back side took it to my local FFL and he was amazed)
now im useing 55g horniday TAP ammo with my m4 im hitting 1/4 moa groups @100
and i have all my targets with witness signatures to prove it

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]

ETA J/K

It's good stuff and will work fine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Ammo Oracle helped out a lot, Thanks.

BTW for everyone else who wanted mine, NO M855 for you!

Long shot: sounds like its fun stuff, have to sift through the garage and fine some stuff to pucnh holes in
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been curious about this myself, is M855 as accurate and effective as M193 in a 20" 1:9 Bushmaster barrel?  I am looking to buy around 500 rounds and I'm debating between XM193 and XM855.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been curious about this myself, is M855 as accurate and effective as M193 in a 20" 1:9 Bushmaster barrel?  I am looking to buy around 500 rounds and I'm debating between XM193 and XM855.  Thanks.

Again, check the ammo oracle, lots of neat and interesting stuff there.

As for what round would be better for you, you should first consider your application.  Plinking?  SHTF/Zombies?  Target?

It seems like the general consesus here is that M-193 is better at just about everything than M-855.  Longer frag range due to higher velocity, greater accuracy because of a solid core (as opposed to the composite lead/steel core of the M-855), sometimes cheaper, and easier to find.  

However, M-855 does have a few advantages over m-193. It has better long range performance and penetration.  This advantage may not be that important, depending on the ranges you are planning on shooting at.  Most combat, for instance, occurs at 100 yards or less.  You may be better off with a .308 if you are looking at medium or long range shots.

As for the 1:9 barrel, that's actually the ideal barrel twist for the M-855.  Many NATO rifles were initially issued with 1:9 barrels. Our military went with the 1:7 twist as a compromise between the M-855 ball and the M-856 tracer round which is much longer.  The NATO countries later followed our lead (again).  

I would consider your requirements and then try both in your rifle to see which it likes best.

-K
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
NOPE you need a different rifle!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top