Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 9:01:46 AM EDT

This ammo was submerged during the hurricane.  According to my neighbor who stayed during the storm (wtf?), the water (about 6 - 8 inches in most houses in the neighborhood) came up quickly, and receeded after only about an hour.  I'm guessing that's not enough "soaking" time to reliably neutralize ammo... what should I do with it?  I don't want to just toss it in the garbage, for fear of causing injury to someone.  Do I soak it in a tub of water for a few days?  Soak it in something else?

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It's probably still good. I wouldn't use it for hunting or self-defense, but I'd sure practice with it.

Even if you have a dud or two, malfunctions are good training, too.      
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's probably still good. I wouldn't use it for hunting or self-defense, but I'd sure practice with it.

Even if you have a dud or two, malfunctions are good training, too.      

yup, range ammo. that's about it
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#3]
The shotgun shells would be fine for dove hunting, too.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The shotgun shells would be fine for dove hunting, too.

+1

(The way I shoot doves, it doesn't really matter if they go off or not...)  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if (aside from the shotgun shells) I'd feel comfortable feeding any of these rounds into any of my firearms... they're just plain nasty looking from the dirty flood water.

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.michaelcaswell.com/ammo.jpg

This ammo was submerged during the hurricane.  According to my neighbor who stayed during the storm (wtf?), the water (about 6 - 8 inches in most houses in the neighborhood) came up quickly, and receeded after only about an hour.  I'm guessing that's not enough "soaking" time to reliably neutralize ammo... what should I do with it?  I don't want to just toss it in the garbage, for fear of causing injury to someone.  Do I soak it in a tub of water for a few days?  Soak it in something else?

--Mike

Range ammo.  A little late I know but thanks for running that AWB site all those years.  Working on anything new?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even if you have a dud or two, malfunctions are good training, too.      hug.gif

yup, range ammo. that's about it

YEP!!!!! Shoot it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#8]
the 22's and shotgun shells are probably unaffected, the rest will make good plinking, range ammo stuff.

I bet it will all still go bang.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Like stated above, shoot it for practice, and remedy drill make you better firearm handler.

A lot of the hunting shotshells are advertised water resistant, as half the time you go out in the field it is going to rain on you anyway, and if duck/goose huntin, there is bound to be moisture involved.

Send me them 2 boxes of USA9MMVP, and the 2 boxes of 40 S&W, I'll take of them for you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I personally would rotate them in to "practice/hunting" stock and rebuild the SHTF inventory.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#12]
shoot it
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Air dry and wipe them with a dry cloth and shoot them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Use it up, ammo is terrible thing to waste
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Air dry and wipe them with a dry cloth and shoot them.

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Shoot it and report back.  

I for one am interested in it.  I'd like to know the amount of misfire/FTF's you have from ammo that has been submerged
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I vote to use it (on the range) as well.  It takes a LOT to screw up well-made ammunition.  However, I'd also suggest investing in a few ammo cans as well.  I have an assortment of 'em, and there ain't nothin' gonna mess up what's in them!  Just make sure you buy cans in good condition and that the gasket is still in place and also in good condition.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I vote to use it (on the range) as well.  It takes a LOT to screw up well-made ammunition.

Thanks... I guess I'll try it and see what happens!

However, I'd also suggest investing in a few ammo cans as well.  I have an assortment of 'em, and there ain't nothin' gonna mess up what's in them!  Just make sure you buy cans in good condition and that the gasket is still in place and also in good condition.

This batch of ammo was given to me by my dad several months ago in a wooden crate, and it ended up in the garage where I forgot all about it until the post-hurricane cleanup.

I keep my stash of XM193 and Q3131 in a large Rubbermaid tub inside the house (put it up on the bed before evacuating, just in case flood was extra bad), and my 9mm is kept in up fairly high on a shelf.  Technically, not protected from a Noah's Ark style flood, but it didn't get that bad here.  :-)

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd like to think that I wouldn't leave a single round of ammo in my home, if I was forced to evacuate.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#20]
shoot it for practice but be super wary of a squib load!  I'd segregate it or shoot it all up soon just so you know you got rid of the questionable ammo.
I've had that happen before with several cases of skeet 12 guage ammo. Most worked but it is a pain to pop out the stuck wad in the barrel.

SoS
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top