Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 9:52:33 AM EDT
I found 1k of pnp .223 ammo that a guy traded for with a lot of other stuff, I offered 100.00 for it and he said ok, now I wonder after the fact is it any good? It's south african manufactured and has a gazelle on the boxes. Anyone know anything about it ? I haven't gone to pick it up yet. I generally shoot xm193 or federal am eagle  but this was cheap enough and no shipping, less than 2 miles away.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
SLIGHTLY lighter loaded than military 193, but overall fine ammo. (Maybe 100 fps slower)
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#2]
PMP Pretoria Metal Pressings a Division of Denel (Pty) Ltd.

It is decent plinking fodder.  I have about a 1000 rounds of it and have never had any trouble but it is probably on par with WWB, you aren't going to win any benchrest matches with it.

http://www.pmp.co.za/prod04.htm
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I like all of PMP's ammo they make.

Good stuff.

NICE PRICE!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked it up this afternoon, I'll try it out soon.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If it has a PNP headstamp, it could be a special run of ammo manufactured for the Philippine National Police.  The Philippine National Police (PNP) briefly used South African manufactured ammo as well as Norinco ammo (which gave them problems with too much build up in the gas tube) in the 1990s.  Prior to that, the PNP used WCC, LC, Pong San, and RPA (Republic of the Philippines Army).   I was told that Norinco subsequently improved their ammo by using a different powder.

The PNP now uses WCC and BMP (Bataan Munitions Plant) which replaced RPA.  BMP uses US components, and assembly of the bullets are made in the munitions plant in Bataan which was formerly the RPA plant.

Both the PNP and the Armed Forces of the Philippines use M193.  No plans yet of switching to M855 ammo.

If you come across SB ammo, never, ever use them.  They're terrible.  Primers have come off the casings, and some primers managed get lodged into the gas tube.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top