Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 6:52:42 PM EDT
The Georgia Arms Canned heat and regular .223 ammo seems to be pretty attractively priced. I have heard lots of people who have had great luck and almost use the pistol canned heat exclusively. Their website claims 3150 fps on their .223 loadings. I was thinking of maybe storing some of this ammo as I only have a few thousand rounds of the XM193 and Q3131A set aside. I would probably keep the military stuff for any real "work" but what does everyone think about the Georgia Arms stuff? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not so sure about the .223 ammo but I wasn't very impressed with the .45 ammo. Very dirty stuff, my arms were covered with what appeared to be ash after shooting 30 rds. I had no failures with it but it was dirtier and not as accurate as Wolf so I haven't bothered with the stuff any further than that.

Again this is out of a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Fella south of me buys a lot of it.   I have looked at the primers, they seem a little flat to me.. he is running them full-auto (M16).  He also uses a lot of their 9mm.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Had some bad luck with their .223...  Cases were ripped in half.

ETA, I will buy again though. I have shot a lot and only experienced this with a 100rd batch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]

The .223 canned heat has worked flawlessly in my AR, and the .45 +P ammo worked great in my USP, whereas Wolf wouldn't. I had no issues with the .45 ammo that bchboy1206 had.  I'd rate it as pretty good ammo for the price, and plan on using more of it. Do a search for it, there have been quite a few threads on it, most people seem to like it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Great stuff.   Buy lots and shoot lots!

Their match ammo in .308 is top notch as is their match 223 ammo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot several thousand rounds of their canned heat... Including about 600 rounds fired rapid-fire from a FAR-15 (The front grip was too hot to hold on to without some flight gloves when we got done.)

Nary a misfire, misfeed, mis-anything. Seems accurately, and reliable.

Now wolf, on the other hand... Lots of split casings, and I had one FTE so bad I had to tear the gun down and hammer the bolt free to get the damn thing out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Canned Heat in .223. I don't buy anything else for plinking. Never had a problem with it. Some LEO whose department shoots thousands of rounds of Canned Heat posted chrony results a while back. It was running around 100 fps faster than Lake City ammo. I don't have a chrony, but felt recoil (FWIW) indicates the same thing. I also have had some of the most accurate strings I have ever shot with this stuff.

Some guys have pointed out that you will find some rounds that are seated so far in you can't see the cannelure, and some that are seated so far out that you can see almost the whole cannelure. I guess this is supposed to mean that quality control is sloppy. Well, I was putting a few hundred rounds of Federal XM193 in magazines the other day and saw the exact same variations. So if it's bad for Canned Heat then it must be bad for XM193, or if it's OK for XM193 it must be OK for Canned Heat. You figure it out. I'm not worrying about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Can someone provide a link?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like the Canned Heat in .223. I don't buy anything else for plinking. Never had a problem with it. Some LEO whose department shoots thousands of rounds of Canned Heat posted chrony results a while back. It was running around 100 fps faster than Lake City ammo. I don't have a chrony, but felt recoil (FWIW) indicates the same thing. I also have had some of the most accurate strings I have ever shot with this stuff.

Some guys have pointed out that you will find some rounds that are seated so far in you can't see the cannelure, and some that are seated so far out that you can see almost the whole cannelure. I guess this is supposed to mean that quality control is sloppy. Well, I was putting a few hundred rounds of Federal XM193 in magazines the other day and saw the exact same variations. So if it's bad for Canned Heat then it must be bad for XM193, or if it's OK for XM193 it must be OK for Canned Heat. You figure it out. I'm not worrying about it.

I doubt that it's 100 fps faster than Lake City!  But then I've never chrono'ed it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:15:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Shot lots of it in .223, 9, and some .40.
I've run the .223 in two ARs, (Bushmaster, and a parts gun) and two Mini 14s.

It's all good!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:49:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt that it's 100 fps faster than Lake City!  But then I've never chrono'ed it.

I used the Search function to see if I could find the original post. It must be too long ago -- more than 3 months anyway -- because it did not show up. The figure quoted was 3350 fps. Feel free to doubt -- the figure could have been wrong -- but unless you do put it through a chrony, your imagination is no better than anyone else's. If you have shot much of it, you know it is not under-powered, like Wolf or the Wal-Mart white box stuff.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#13]
No problems with their .223 canned heat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I've shot my weight many times over with various Georgia Arms ammunition, mostly 9mm but also their .223 reloads from time to time (all GI brass from what I remember) and never experienced any problems at all.  Everything always went "bang" and a hole appeared in the target.  A decade or so ago I had a friend who would shoot approx. a case of their .223 every month or so thru his Bushmaster A2 and he never, ever complained.  He simply kept buying more and more without reservation.  There are quite a few PD's here in the South who shoot Georgia Arms/Master ammo for practice everyday.  Just good and reliable ammo for the money.  Just another opinion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I may have to actually try this stuff again, maybe I just got a bad lot.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Call them first for the prices.  The prices on the web page are not current.  I just bought 2k of 9mm and the price was ten dollars more than the web page posted.  He did call me to tell me there was a price increase but they did not update the page.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I was told by their rep at a funshow last sunday that all "cans" of ammo were going up $5.00.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used the Search function to see if I could find the original post. It must be too long ago -- more than 3 months anyway -- because it did not show up. The figure quoted was 3350 fps. Feel free to doubt -- the figure could have been wrong -- but unless you do put it through a chrony, your imagination is no better than anyone else's. If you have shot much of it, you know it is not under-powered, like Wolf or the Wal-Mart white box stuff.

Lake City is already loaded very hot.  Don't think that you could go any hotter without blowing primers......especially from a reloaded case.  If the ammo was shot from a 24 inch barrel then it's certainly possible.  But not if it was shot from the exact same barrel.  

I have not shot any though but will probably buy a case since it sounds like good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#19]
QUOTE: If the ammo was shot from a 24 inch barrel then it's certainly possible. But not if it was shot from the exact same barrel.

The same rep has told me in the past that  they use a 20" AR for the rated velocity.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top