Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2005 10:47:57 PM EDT
I had to look at this crap when I saw the price but my better judgement prevailed. The price was tempting, but it must be shit if it's going for that price.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#1]
You are correct in your assumptions.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw it in Gander here in Amarillo Tx. I bought a case and it all goes boom. No problems. It says M193 on the box. Went back to by another case and it is all gone. Somebody besides me is shooting it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
$99/1000 for Olympic ammo is $99 too much in my opinion. I would shoot Wolf first and I wouldn't shoot Wolf if it was free.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I saw it in Gander here in Amarillo Tx. I bought a case and it all goes boom. No problems. It says M193 on the box. Went back to by another case and it is all gone. Somebody besides me is shooting it.

what color is the box white or brown...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot the Olympic m193 with no problems. All of the Olympic m193 I have is red/whi box that holds 50 rnds loose.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It is the white and orange box (50 count) M193. I know it has a bad rep but it works in both of my rifles!!!!!! I think I have had 2 FTF out of 700
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It is the white and orange box (50 count) M193. I know it has a bad rep but it works in both of my rifles!!!!!! I think I have had 2 FTF out of 700

Failure to Feed or failure to Fire?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had to look at this crap when I saw the price but my better judgement prevailed. The price was tempting, but it must be shit if it's going for that price.

From my experience, the Olympic ammo must be using a pretty fast powder -- it runs just fine in short and midlength gas systems, but in rifles with the rifle-length gas tubes it has trouble cycling the action reliably. YMMV

I've enjoyed a fair amount of free Olympic ammo provided by people with 20" ARs. Runs fine in all of my M4s... Never bothered to check for accuracy -- it's just plinking ammo as far as I'm concerned. If I were to come across it at $99/1000, I'd snag some just for blasting away.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#9]
It's going for $89 per 100 at the Geneva, IL store.  Never had a problem in my 20" 1in 7
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Hate to say it out loud, and in public, but Wolf Polymer costs more for a reason.

Have had an issue or two with the Greek crap.

Have yet to have a problem with the stinky, filthy, Wolf other than accuracy woes past 50m.

Shit in, shit out.

Reliability/safety is the issue for training ammo.

S-28

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's going for $89 per 100 at the Geneva, IL store.  Never had a problem in my 20" 1in 7

$89 for 100?

Buy me some at that steal!

sorry, its late and im at work bored and tired!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I work at a Gander Mountain in Harrisburg, PA and we sell this stuff just fine.  Obviously you are not going to win any competitions with it but it goes "bang" just fine.

This ammo was purchased in mass quantity at the time of the AWB sunset because they thought there was going to be a run on .223 ammo.  

-JD
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I work at a Gander Mountain in Harrisburg, PA and we sell this stuff just fine.  Obviously you are not going to win any competitions with it but it goes "bang" just fine.

This ammo was purchased in mass quantity at the time of the AWB sunset because they thought there was going to be a run on .223 ammo.  

-JD

Hey JD,

Last time I was in there it was priced at $129 per K. It  is still the same price or has it dropped down anymore.

Z
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the first problem out of it this past weekend at a informal shoot with some friends. Case swelled and stuck in the chamber. I tapped it out very easily with a cleaning rod, but kept the brass and compared it to other spent brass and it definitley swelled. Assuming this is cause by out of spec brass or over charge?? There were no noticeable burrs on the case and my chamber looked good with no gouges or anything.

But now I am definitley going to check the 1200 rounds or so I have left of the Olympic, what do I look for and how do I check to make sure the brass is within spec, hoping I do not have to remove the bullet and check it that way. I do not reload so I don't have dies but I dial calipers and micrometers for my car hobby can I use them to check them out and make sure they are ok? I know I cannot check the powder load without pulling the bullets.

I also thought maybe it was because the rifle was hot and caused it to swell? I shot probably 300 rounds pretty much non stop and it was pretty damn hot, but I am sure our soldiers fire that much and more at one time during a drawn out firefight so I dispelled that on my own, but is it a possibility?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I had the same problem with it. It would swell & get stuck in my barrel. This was after about 250-300 rounds in my pre ban ar15 w/ 16 inch barrel . I also have a new post ban ar & the ammo worked fine in iit! So i am puzzled I also have about 2K round left.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had the same problem with it. It would swell & get stuck in my barrel. This was after about 250-300 rounds in my pre ban ar15 w/ 16 inch barrel . I also have a new post ban ar & the ammo worked fine in iit! So i am puzzled I also have about 2K round left.

I'll go throught it and see if I notice anything unusual about it, maybe someone will come along and let us if there is a way we can check it, I hate to just junk that much ammo. I also do not want to sell it to someone else who it might cause major problems for.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I had the same thing happen on Saturday. First magazine, 3rd round so it had nothing to do with temp. I punched it out with a cleaning rod an kept on shooting. I assume that fired brass stuck in the chamber happens to all brands on occasion? I will shoot the rest of my case!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top