Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 6:24:01 PM EDT
I was looking at some surplus M80 ball today, and was anting some info on it. It is standard 147 grain ball and the case is stamped OFV 74 M80 7.62. Who manufactured this stuff? Is it any good? It is loaded on 5 round stripper clips in bandoleers, 400 rounds to a can.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It's Indian. Very hit or miss as far as quality. Avoid it like you would avoid the plague.  Try to find some Aussie, Port or South African if you can, in that order.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's Indian. Very hit or miss as far as quality. Avoid it like you would avoid the plague.  Try to find some Aussie, Port or South African if you can, in that order.

YUCK! I know all about how shitty the Indian ammo is. I just didn't know it when I saw it. I knew $59.99 seemed to good to be true. Thanks for saving me from that purchase.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently saw some of this on The Sportsmans Guide website and too wondered where it was from, since they didn't list the origin. Then I got out my headstamp list and quickly realized why they didn't list the country of origin. LOL.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If yo ucan actually inspect the stuff before you buy it, that would be better.  It shoots OK for the price, but see if you can inspect individual rounds before you buy.  I wouldn't buy this stuff mailorder...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If yo ucan actually inspect the stuff before you buy it, that would be better.  It shoots OK for the price, but see if you can inspect individual rounds before you buy.  I wouldn't buy this stuff mailorder...

Visual inspection doesnt do much. Several people over on the falfiles pulled bullets and measured powder. There was a large variance in bullet weight and powder charge in alot of the rounds. This stuff is fire at your own risk and i dont think saving $30 a case is worth losing your face and rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Can anyone ID "PINDAD", may have been "PINDAG"?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The early 70's Indian stuff is pretty good and I never had any split case/blown primers problems with it, not the most accurate stuff but at $ 50 per 400 it works , esp in a semi 1919A4
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can anyone ID "PINDAD", may have been "PINDAG"?

PINDAD = Indonesian

PT Pindad (Persero), under management of PT Bahana Pakarya Industrisi Strategis (Persero). Formerly known as Pabrik Senjata Mesiu. Ammunition factory at Turen Malang, West Java, Indonesia
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
and there is a headstamps of the world sticky link in the C&R forum

Otherwise SA at .15/rnd is hard to beat

Where do you find the SA these days? I use to see it alot, but I only know of one store that stocks it now for $46.99 a battlepack.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In last week's aimsurplus.com mailer.

Cool, that is a good price. Maybe a 980 round can will hold me over until Knob Creek in October.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Much obliged CH and RS
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Newington Gun Exchange in New Britain CT has SA battle packs for 32 bucks each.

Steve
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top