Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2005 9:49:22 PM EDT
Title says it all... anyone ran this stuff over a chronograph? I've got some, but I'm curious what the actual velocity of this stuff is... I know what is "supposed" to be, but I'm looking for real life numbers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought 1,000 rounds of +P from him, I need to borrow a chrono
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Title says it all... anyone ran this stuff over a chronograph? I've got some, but I'm curious what the actual velocity of this stuff is... I know what is "supposed" to be, but I'm looking for real life numbers.

Just curious, what's it supposed to be?  From what barrel length?

Also, I'm pretty sure it was on another baord, but I thought I read that Nato pressure 9mm was loaded hotter than +P+ LE rounds.  Do you know if that's true?  
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
SAMMI pressure for 9mm is 35,000 psi.

SAMMI pressure for +P 9mm is 38,500 psi.

NATO pressure for 9mm is 42,000 psi.

Thre is no specification for +P+, but it should be higher than +P, if there is logic in cartrige nomenclature.  You know that isn't always true, though, so +P+ may, in some cases, be more marketing than actual description.

Also, pressure and velocity aren't always totally linked - sometimes pressure in a faster load can be lower, depending on bullet, primer, powder, etc.

These are maximum pressures, too, so any given loading may be under that pressure level.  For example, Winchester White Box 9mm is generally loaded to a lower level than most other 9mm.  I often shoot Blazer 9mm in my SIG, but bought some PMC ammo the other day, and it showed the signs of lower slide velocity (stovepipe jams), leading me to believe it was loaded to significantly lower pressure than maximum.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious, what's it supposed to be?  From what barrel length?

Also, I'm pretty sure it was on another baord, but I thought I read that Nato pressure 9mm was loaded hotter than +P+ LE rounds.  Do you know if that's true?  

US M882 124gr ball ammo should have a velocity around 1250-1280fps from an M-9. The M-9 has a 5" barrel. NATO ball generally is about the same as SAMMI +P--- It's not hotter than LE ammo, generally, but there are some "NATO" marked rounds out there that are (L7A1 ball for example).

The stuff from ammoman should be around 1250-1280fps... but I dont have a chronograph to check it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SAMMI pressure for 9mm is 35,000 psi.

SAMMI pressure for +P 9mm is 38,500 psi.

NATO pressure for 9mm is 42,000 psi.

Thre is no specification for +P+, but it should be higher than +P, if there is logic in cartrige nomenclature.  You know that isn't always true, though, so +P+ may, in some cases, be more marketing than actual description.

Thanx.  I had no idea Nato pressure was that high.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had some chronoed at some IPSC matches:

Sig P226ST - 1195fps
Glock 34 - 1225fps
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've had some chronoed at some IPSC matches:

Sig P226ST - 1195fps
Glock 34 - 1225fps

FINALLY someone answered my question.

Sounds like it is about where it should be, maybe just a shade under spec. Thanks JD!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I chrono'ed a box of WW 124 NATO several years ago as well as some military issue NATO stuff from Federal...all around 1220 to 1240 FPS Iin a Beretta 92 IRC.

Nada on this newer stuff.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Midway has Winchester White Box 115 FMJ on sale for about $60/500. And that includes shipping.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Midway has Winchester White Box 115 FMJ on sale for about $60/500. And that includes shipping.

Not to be an ass.. but did you read the thread?

Thanks for the heads up BTW... I might be placing an order to midway soon anyway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#11]
It came out of left field!!! That was funny.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't have a chrony, but it's definitely moving. Was shooting some Win White Box yesterday and ran out. Loaded up some of Ammoman's Nato stuff an boy was there a difference! I had to put the factory recoil spring back in-I normally shoot with a lighter recoil spring.

I'll compare it to some Ranger Talons later today.

ETA: Couldn't tell the difference between the RTs and the M882 in a mixed mag.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top