Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 1:50:53 PM EDT
Could I get a few of your expert opinions on this?

I have read in the Ammo Oracle about the differences in .223 rem. and 5.56 Nato.  I see where the 5.56 has higher chamber pressures than the .223 and that it recommened not to use the hotter stuff in chambers marked for .223.

My question is this:  Would a bolt action not handle the increased pressure just as well if not better than a semi-auto?

I have a Ruger MkII 77 in .223 and was wondering if I could shoot some of my bulk XM-193 with it, without any problems.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
To my knowledge it is not advised to use 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber with ANY type of action, because the tighter .223 chamber does not have the safety margins of expansion room that the 5.56 chamber has. The higher pressure of the 5.56 round has to go somewhere, and the least supported parts of the case, particularly at the part of the rim held by the extractor, or into the flash holes in front of the primer, will be its logical points of attack.

The possible result, a ruptured case and a KB, is not something you want to be around.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Pressure might be too high. You could try it, then check for a sticky bolt handle or bulged primer. Sporting rifles often have a loose chamber.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
innocent_bystander does it all the time in his high falootin' precision bolt gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Try it and see. If it causes hard bolt lift stop. The stuff shoots about 2 MOA in my Remington 700 with a 20" Shilen barrel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to try it out this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to try it out this weekend.

I've shot a zillion rounds of 5.56 out of a Remington 700.  It works perfectly.   Never any problem of any kind in thousands of rounds.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
bolt guns have a lot of margin of error because you lock it all up...  Now out of spec ammo in a semi automatic can have nasty results.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
bolt guns have a lot of margin of error because you lock it all up...  Now out of spec ammo in a semi automatic can have nasty results.

Exactly.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Try it and see. If it causes hard bolt lift stop.

FWIW, I had this situation when I tried shooting Portugese surplus 7.62 NATO through my Winchester Model 70 .308 Classic Featherweight.  Got worse as the gun heated up (Obviously).  Needless to say, I stopped.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you tried it yet? How did it work?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Combat Jack

I am going to try it out this afternoon after church.  I will give a report this evening.  Because of the information gained through this thread, I feel very confident that all will go well.  Thanks to all.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top