Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 12:16:25 AM EDT
Does anybody know how to make the Dillon Powder Measure on the RL550  anymore reliable .
It seems to work for a while then you get powder spillage from inside the die .
The powder bar is finishing flush with the edge of the housing as it is suposed to be .
Iam tring to be as smooth and consistant in my reloading technique ,
but these spillages are p!!!ing me off .
I am giving the powder plenty of time to drop into the case mouth .
I got the RL550 for speed of finished rounds but if you cant besure that every case has the same amount of powder in it then you can only use it as a single station press and way every powder charge .
People who have one do you use spray case lube or roll your cases on a pad .
I use spray lube when i am sizing the rounds so they will be going round the shell plate lubed as normall on a progresive machine .
Any help before it drives me nuts ...........
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
What powder are you using?  Any chance your case lube is gumming things up?  Assume you've taken it off and cleaned it up?  Do you have a static elec. problem (too dry environment)?

FWIW, all progressive powder measures spill to one degree or another.  Powder granule size is a factor.  Measure some charges and see if actual variation is excessive.  Make sure you don't have powder measure set too tight to powder die (reread your Dillon setup instructions).  Make sure nothing is binding action of powder measure on downstroke or return.

Sam
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]

It seems to work for a while then you get powder spillage from inside the die .

I've never had that happen in the 60-70,000 rounds I have loaded on my Dillon 550.  I would suspect that you are using some kind of stick or extruded powder that isn't flowing correctly thru the powder measure, it's bridging and blocking the flow of powder.

On .223/5.56 I use a spray lube and clean the cases after sizing, they are cleaned before running them thru the rest of the cycle, I only do this on .223/5.56 mm.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#3]
In the future you might have better luck posting reloading questions on the Reloading Board, on the General Tab.

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=9
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
This is NOT the Reloading forum.  Please READ the tacked posts.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top