Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 8:37:40 AM EDT

I have read posts on other boards where claims of sub moa at 1000m with 90 grain .223 in match grade barrelled AR15s were made.

Usually you have to manually load each cartridge because of the increased length, but DPMS sells special magazine and mag catch that will allow you to have up to 8 rounds of up to 90 grain cartridges feed through a magazine.

I was thinking about building a dedicated lower for 80 and 90 grain cartridges using this setup, but wondered if anyone had any experience with 80 and 90 grain ammo in an AR15 at extreme ranges they could expound upon.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I only use the 80gr .223s at 600 yards in my match rifle. Single feed only, blah, blah, blah. These are primarily a reloading-only option. Accuracy is excellent when I do my part. The trick I've noticed is how close you seat the bullets to the rifling. In my rifle the measurement is about .01" jump to get the Nosler 80gr J4s shooting straight and steady. For punching paper, they're great. If I were shooting at something living, make it a 6.5mm or .30-cal. past 400 yards. The impacts the .223s leave on the backstop at 600 aren't very impressive IMO. Not huge amounts of energy left. (However, I am not volunteering to get hit by them, just observing.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure Donald Trump has fired both rounds...

...wait for it...

...He's fired everything else!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the 80's for Service Rifle at 600 yds.

They are great for competetions, but if you want a good, mag fed long range round, load the 77 gr SMK.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top