Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 5:12:08 PM EDT
besides the nice visual effect, are these specialty ammo worth getting for any practical reason?  i see these on gunbroker all the time, and other places for some high prices. I just learned about  5.56 Raufus high explosive ammo (twice as explosive as regular incendiary ammo) going for about $2 a round on gunbroker, and not sure if that would even be pratical
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Tracer is fun, especially at night, and where you have room to let them fly and burn out while still way up in the air...

I shoot them occassionally when in WV, we have room to aim up-out to the big mountain and they burn out in flight, so fire and hitting anybody in the deep woods is not much of a concern..
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Tracer is definitely worth it.

The other rounds only have a military application and are not worth the [high] price except for maybe a few rounds for show.   In any case, tracers are far less dangerous than those other rounds from a fire perspective and like he said, unless you shoot up in the air or into a rocky cliff, you should be aware of the fire hazard tracers present.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
besides the nice visual effect, are these specialty ammo worth getting for any practical reason?  i see these on gunbroker all the time, and other places for some high prices. I just learned about  5.56 Raufus high explosive ammo (twice as explosive as regular incendiary ammo) going for about $2 a round on gunbroker, and not sure if that would even be pratical

Tracers: fun but expensive...

Incinedrary: Ok for shooting cans of gasoline, otherwise pointless

HE: Worthless for calibers under 20mm... 'Novelty' rounds aside, there is no practical use for HE ammo in small-arms calibers... You just can't fit enough payload in the shell, and even if you could the ATF limit is 1/4oz of payload -> no noticable boom...

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Tracers aren't too bad cost wise if you reload them.  Which is what I do and they light just fine.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top