Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 6:23:47 PM EDT
Kali rules for Big game hunting says...."may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding bullets"

Which are those as far as the 6.8spc cartridge is concerned?  MidwayUSA has the 115 grain boat tail hollow point and 115 grain metal case.

Are either of these a softnose or expanding bullet?  Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
metal case = FMJ

Hollow point is not an expanding bullet that should be used on game.  Depending on your state's reg, you might be able to get away with it but I wouldn't use them.  I don't want an animal to suffer just because I couldn;t find the proper ammo.  Use something else or find hunting bullets loaded in this caliber to ensure a clean quick kill.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The OTM ought to kill deer deader'n'dead.

Alternatively, you can load a 110gr VMAX, the 110gr SP, the 100 or 120gr Barnes X.

-z
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it the 110gr AMAX or VMAX?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
remington loads the amax now?  that's news to me!!!!!  Where did you see that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Plus, I'm thinking the hp shouldn't be a problem.  Many manufactures make hollow point bullets that are made to expand so I don't see how you could argue against it.  I know, I know, a match bullet doesn't expand, it fragments.  But it's a hollow point which could imply an expanding bullet.  And if you look at hornady's old chart they got the .223 52 bthp and 75 bthp under a "traditional hunting" heading.  

And thirdly, Zak, you see my point about not having a soft point bullet loaded for hunters?  There will be this kind of confusion all the time and may hinder mainstreem deer hunters.  I didn't know about the amax though, that should pretty much solve it.  But if they call that a match bullet, you're still back to square 1.  (piggy backing on a 6.8 discussion a few weeks ago)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Virtually all my reload data is for the 110gr VMAX.   It has a higher BC than even the 115gr OTM.  This bullet was originally for the 270WIN, and so it is readily available commercially.

-z
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah but troy just said that remington loaded it.  I thought they loaded a fmj a bthp match and hp match.  I'll have to look at it again but I'm pretty sure they didn't originally have a vmax in there.  Troy, where did you see that remington would load it?  The vmax.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Could some one email as to where I can find any ammo for a 6.8SPC , any ammo at all???

I really appreciate it. There is a upper I want, but I can't find any stinkin ammo!

edited to say:
Saw the 6.8 SPC brass post, is everyone reloading?

I can deal with that!

Who has the load data for 115gr and 110gr.

Getting ready to fire up the VISA for that upper
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude, read the FAQ thread tacked in the AR15 Discussion forum.  The FAQ has a link to my load data page.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is the link to Zak-Smith's load data. As always use at your own risk.

www.demigod.org/~zak/firearms/6.8SPC/loads.php

Here is the link to the 6.8 FAQ & load data thread.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=189042&page=1

There is some good info on this thread & Zak has done some very good work on the 6.8.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
you guys are "The Man" thanks!

Ordering my upper tomorrow and all this reloading stuff too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I apologize for being short.   There is a lot of information out there, and all people have to do is RTFM.

-z
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top