Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 10:52:32 AM EDT
I am looking for some desicant packages. The stuff that absorbes moisture. I want to put some in my ammo cans along with my bandoleers. Where can I get this stuff?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am looking for some desicant packages. The stuff that absorbes moisture. I want to put some in my ammo cans along with my bandoleers. Where can I get this stuff?
Thanks

The Ammo-Oracle has answers to this and many other questions.  Start with:

Q. How do I store ammo properly?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]
tatjana,
Thanks I read the oracle awhile back and dont rember that section, so I just re-read it again. I went to desiccant city but they have alot of choices. Which ones do you recomend for my application?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Another alternative.
Desiccare

I use the 4 unit clay paks in 50 cal ammo cans. That's #R02BO10A22.

Probably overkill.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Which ones do you recomend for my application?

The 1gram sizes should be enough.  With all the ammo in the cans, there isn't much airspace left.  You really don't need much desiccant.

I like the silica over the clay, but to each his/her own
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Walmart has them. They have a good sized display in the houseware section. I think it was a light blue/white box of 4 or 6 packets for a couple bucks. I think they're call Damp-Rid or something like that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Walmart has them. They have a good sized display in the houseware section. I think it was a light blue/white box of 4 or 6 packets for a couple bucks. I think they're call Damp-Rid or something like that.

Oh!  I think I remember seeing those someplace.  IIRC, they're rechargeable too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
If you really want to overkill then you should either use vacuum sealing or drop your desiccant in and put a bit of liquid nitrogen in the ammo can.  Lay the top down (but don't latch it) and allow the expanding nitrogen "burp" out all the air before you seal the can.  (Make SURE the nitrogen has all expanded or you'll blow up the can).  Now you have a nitrogen (read: inert gas) filled, low humidity ammo can.

I suspect ammo stored this way will last in excess of a century, as long as the can is airtight.

I think this setup might even deal with extreme temperature changes (the worst problem for ammo).  The problem with temp changes is that heating tends to evaporate moisture, allowing it to work its way into places it shouldn't be.  Then any cooling will condense it and ruin powder, bring in contaminants, etc. etc.

Filling the ammo can with inert gas, solidifying all the moisture then allowing it to slowly warm and be absorbed by the desiccant leaves you with a massive overkill time capsule.

You can use dry ice too.  Liquid nitrogen is, however... cooler.  (Hee!)
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The ones I saw at Walmart weren't rechargable..unless you are very careful. They are packaged in tyvek with a plastic window so you can detect the color change. You could probably safely recharge them in a 150 deg oven for a few hours, but anything more than that might cause the plastic to melt.

Even better yet, go to the post office and get some of the free tyvek Priority Mail envelopes and use them to repackage the silica after you've removed it from the original packaging and recharged it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody try a piece of drywall?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top