Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 9:17:34 AM EDT
What's a good non-FMJ "target" round?

Something fairly accurate, but safe for metal targets?

The less expensive, the better.

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The cheapest non-FMJ common loadings would be the Winchester 45gr "Varmint" bulk-packs (Walmart) or the Federal American Eagle 50gr JHP.  Either loading will have a bit less tendancy to damage metal targets compared to FMJ, but neither is anything like a frangible round in this regard.  I would not recommend shooting at steel targets with an AR at anything less than 50 yards without frangible ammo, or less than 25 yards with frangible ammo.

-Troy

Actually, HSA makes steel targets that they claim will handle any centerfire rifle round from as close as 25 yards and be safe for both the shooter and the target.  They do recommend that the shooter and bystanders wear protective eyewear (we all do this anyway, right?).  I even emailed them and asked if that stood for FMJ loads and they said any, including steel jacketed FMJ, though they were a bit rougher on the target, requiring replacement a bit sooner.

huntershooter.acornhosting.com/old/catalog/steel.htm
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The WalMart "varmint' stuff is around $.32/rd.

Ammoman has 50gr frangible for $.24/rd & Federal 50gr HP's for $.24/rd.

They also have Wolf JSP for $.13/rd, but I've read it's not very accurate.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The place I shoot doesn't allow FMJ on metal.  Period.

I bought some 500-brinell (sp) metal targets for my personal use, but I'm still not allowed to shoot FMJ at metal.

Mike
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top