Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 9:02:35 PM EDT
Ok, I'm browsing thru the Midway flyer and come across this bullet....Hornady A-Max rifle bullet--52grain, .22 caliber.

Anybody reloaded them? How were the results?

Says here: "The A-Max advanced match design is intended for use in premium quality rifles with match chambers and throats."
Does this mean bolt action precision rifles only or can these be used in the standard AR?

This looks like a fairly long bullet in the pics...can it be sized to fit in a standard USGI magazine?

Best results on paper targets from my Oly has been using the Black Hills V-Max 50gr.

Just curious if A-Max is any better....or if I can use it at all.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen a few people using them with impressive results.  I really wish they made a 130gr. for my beloved .270, but as usual, it takes the back burner.

Anyway, no experience here, but I have heard good things, all the way up to their .50 BMG A-max.  

Match grade means they are made to very tight tolerances with exacting results.  Let's put it this way. Match grade barrels are tighter, match grade bullets aren't bigger, just more consistent.  My guess is they would work fine, although the fullest potential wouldn't be seen unless pushing it through a match grade tube.

Might not be much help, but thought I would share what I've heard.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I load the 52 gr. AMAX in .223 and the 155 gr. AMAX in .308.

Both bullets are excellant! (If I may say so)

The 52 gr. AMAX is fast and accurate.  I have gotten Sub MOA groups with it from a standard Bushmaster rifle.  Its terminal ballistics are very similar to those of the VMAX line.  A large shredded permanent cavity and tiny bullet fragments are the order of the day.  It is a great round for targets and varmints, although heavier rounds may perform better if you are doing serious paper punching.

Expect velocities to top out around 3300 FPS.

52. grain AMAX bullets work just fine when seated to mag length.  In fact, until I started loading the 75 gr. AMAXes I seated everything to about 2.25-6".

Here is my data:

Load:    02H3
Bullet:  Hornady 52 gr. A-MAX
Powder:  IMR 3031
Case:    Winchester 223
Primer:  CCI400

Charge:  25.5 gr.
OAL:     2.25"

My smallest group size from this load was .26" at 50 yards.

Buy a box, and if you don't like them, send them to me!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
torf, do you get the 75's to fit in a magazine?  I was thinking, instead of using nato brass use .223 brass, it's shorter.  Then you got more room to play with.  It may defeat the purpose because then it's further away from the lands, but what's your opinion?  Or do you have to just use them one at a time for sure?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#4]
The 75 grain AMAX bullets can't be loaded to magazine length for the AR15.
I seated them out near 2.5" to fire them.

Since I only have a 1:9" twist barrel, they don't shoot very well.  I have not been able to properly evaluate them, so I limit my good experience to the 52 gr. and 155 gr. varieties.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top