Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2003 4:18:09 AM EDT
Could someone explain to me what moly coated bullets are? I assume moly is a lube of some sort. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using these bullets? Do they leave a residue in the bore that requires additional maintenance such as a special solvent? Do they affect accuracy in any way? Why are they used over other ammo. Thanks.

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Skip the moly.  Molybdenum Disulfide is a dry lubricant that reduces pressure in the bore and lowers velocity.  This allows you to up the pressure with hotter charge and get more velocity and allows you to shoot longer between cleanings before accuracy degrades.  Problem is if you go to regular uncoated bullets you get erratic accuracy performance till the barrel is clear of moly so you have to keep shooting moly coated bullets.  Also moly absorbs water and pure moly with no corrosion inhibitors added will attract water and cause faster corrosion.  Think of it as Armor All for your bore.  Once you start you gotta keep using it or you will have problems.  I say stay away.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The above is just what I remember off the top of my head if something is wrong feel free to correct me. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, here's the brief history of moly coated bullets from a former Hipower master shooter.

When these first hit the scence they were touted as decreasing bullet drop, increasing velocity and decreasing fouling.  Well in an effort to keep up with the Jones we all jumped on them.  Heres what the consensus seems to be after a few years of competition with them.

When reloading, due to the decreased friction between to bullet and the case one needs to modify the expander ball to increase neck tension.  IF you dont your MAY get vertical stringing.  According to NECO - the guys that started this whole thing. moly coated bullets have about 40% less neck tension than a standard non coated bullet.

Bullet drop, maybe 0.5 moa less at 600 yards - really not enough to be considered statistically significant.  Read this is B.S.

Decreased fouling - YES, this is true.  On average you can fire 50-60 % more rounds before accuracy degrades due to fouling.  In some match barrels the difference may be as high as 100% increase.

Can you shoot moly and non moly bullets in the same rifle -- YES. however, your bore will foul at a rate soemwhere between the two bullet types.  Will it screw up your accuracy?  NOT in the 5-6 rifles I have tried it in.  YOu just cant go as long between cleanings.

So what are coated bullets good for?  Decreasing fouling especially when shooting solid copper bullets in high pressure loads (like magnums). and that's about it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also moly absorbs water and pure moly with no corrosion inhibitors added will attract water and cause faster corrosion.
View Quote

The term for that is "Hygroscopic".
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks y'all, I think I'll not use them.

Shabo
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey man, you can't forget the fact that they LOOK BADASS!  It is hard to beat the looks of a CT Ballistic Silvertip seated in a Nickel case.

Not that this is important or anything...  [:)]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top