Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2003 4:39:40 PM EDT
I am going deer hunting for the first time this year.  I have a Remington 700P in .308 that I glass bedded myself, tricked up as a sniper/target rifle that averages group sizes of 1 inch at 100 yards.  I have used Federal Gold Medal Match BTHP 168gr as my ammo.  However, this is not a real hollow point round, but has only a tiny void near the tip as a byproduct of the manufacturing process, or so I am told.

I need a rec for a readily available HP round suitable for deer hunting that would match the Federal Gold Medal Match round as closely as possible.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had the Fed Premium Nosler Ballistic Tip recommended.  By the Federal catalog stats, it appears to ballistically be a better slightly match in terms of drop, at least out to 300 yards.  However Sierra recommends it only up to medium game, versus its recommendation for the GameKing up to big game.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 2:34:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used the 150 grain ballistic tip on deer numerous times with good results.It breaks both shoulders and exits completely on a broad side shot. It kills them stone dead. I use the Winchester supreme Ballistic silver tip 150 grain load, and I have killed every deer I have shot with it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Federal 165 grain sierra game king...just what troy said.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have used the 150 grain ballistic tip on deer numerous times with good results.It breaks both shoulders and exits completely on a broad side shot. It kills them stone dead. I use the Winchester supreme Ballistic silver tip 150 grain load, and I have killed every deer I have shot with it.
View Quote

I've heard good things about the BST.  Unfortunately, it simply WON'T work in my .308.

A few years back, I bought a single box to try out.  From 100 yards, I was getting 6 to 8" groups.  No joke.  I thought something was wrong with my scope, so I tried out some 168gr Fed. Gold Medal.  My groups shrank to 1/2".  I don't know what it is about the BST, but I'm not interested enough to buy another $20 box to find out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]

I've heard good things about the BST.  Unfortunately, it simply WON'T work in my .308.

A few years back, I bought a single box to try out.  From 100 yards, I was getting 6 to 8" groups.  No joke.  I thought something was wrong with my scope, so I tried out some 168gr Fed. Gold Medal.  My groups shrank to 1/2".  I don't know what it is about the BST, but I'm not interested enough to buy another $20 box to find out.[/quote]

Yikes! 6 to 8 inch groups is pretty bad. I know that some rifles can be pretty definitive as to what they will group with, but I must say that is pretty extreme in your case. I wouldn't spend the money either, but the win ballistic silver tips work really well for me. I also reload and I have used the Nosler 150 gr ballistic tips( which are esssentially the same bullet) with the same results: complete pass through on broad side shots and a humane kill.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish my .308 would work well with them.  Unfortunately, it's my only .308 rifle, so I can't test them out with any other gun.

It's possible that I just happened to get a REALLY bad batch.  I wish I had thought enough about it at the time to pull a few bullets and examine them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice, used the Federal Premium 165gr GameKing BTSP this past weekend to zero.  Had to move it only one inch left at 100 yards.  I would call that an exact ballistic match for my purposes!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use the same round only in 06 and the 168gr load. I'm thinking of the same thing in .308 as I'm getting consistant .5 to .75 inch groups when I do my part. Though I've yet to put one into a deer. Good to know it works. No one else I hunt with uses them and they all give me a lot of shit for using such a "fancy little bullet"
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top