Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2003 6:07:28 PM EDT
The accompanying pic is a round of Wolf that I chambered and ejected from a clean weapon.  

I know that a slam fire is possible, but I wonder how probable it is.  Anybody out there ever had a slam fire?  What were the circumstances?

Thanks.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
That little ding isn't worth worrying about. The AR has a free floating firing pin and it is impossible to chamber a round without marking the primer. That is why military ammo has harder primers.

Just make sure the firing pin doesn't either stick out too far or get jammed in the hole. If either one of those happens you will get a nasty surprise.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
yea that is messed up huh? from a design point of veiw i dont think i would have been daring enough to leave that up to chance. ive never read here about the pin firing the cartridge and im up to 2700 rounds without it happening. but its gotta happen to someone somewhere? right?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not too worried about it, I just wonder about the probability.  I know Wolf and military primers are harder, but I wonder about other loadings.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I've reloaded with CCI and winchester primers. I don't know how "soft" they are, but I've never experienced a slam fire.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I stopped worrying about it a long time ago, but safety is safety.  I never chamber a round in a direction that might get someone killed or something destroyed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Has there ever been a slamfire, due to a soft primer?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've reloaded with CCI and winchester primers. I don't know how "soft" they are, but I've never experienced a slam fire.
View Quote

Primers (hardest to softest):

CCI
Winchester
Remington
Federal

-Troy
View Quote

Thanks Troy! That's good to know I was unknowingly using the hardest primers. [banana]

Torf...always good councel(that's where the muzzle should be pointed always)!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Started out with CCI, but I found the Winchester seems to be a touch more accurate for me.  I'm switchin'!

Hoppy
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Primers (hardest to softest):

CCI
Winchester
Remington
Federal

-Troy
View Quote

I'm not hearing of a lot of slam fires with Federal ammo either.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
This is discussed in the ammo oracle, tho I'm too lazy to provide a direct link at the moment [:)]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a slam fire in my mas 49\56. Was chambering rounds at the range checking for a problem from one mag. Was using the same ten rounds in each mag. I did notice the little kiss on the primer but thought nothing of it, When all of a sudden the last three rounds burst. I think from chambering these rounds a few times it dimpled the primer a little at a time. After the shock of the sudden burst sat back and wished it was legal to play like that all the time. It was cool.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
My buddy had his Daewoo DR200 slam fire when he slapped the bolt release.  I was just walking back past the firing line with no ears on.

I nearly jumped out of my shoes!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Has there ever been a slamfire, due to a soft primer?
View Quote

Still happens on occasion, they were more prevalent back before the weight of the firing pin was reduced and the primer's sensitivity was standardized.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#15]
The M16 firing pin was redesigned in 1963 ([i]nineteen sixty three[/i]) -- 40 years ago -- and the "slamfire" effect was rare before the fix.  The change was accomplished [i]before[/i] the Army made it's first contract purchase of the XM16E1.  Primer sensitivity was also addressed at the same time.

Note in a slam fire the hammer doesn't fall and I've never seen a documented case of this happening using standard rifles and military ball ammo.  It just doesn't happen.

Literally every military self loading rifle ever made has a free floating firing pin, starting in the US with the M1 Rifle.  Therefore every military self loading rifle will dimple the primer when it loads.

There is a primer sensitivity spec for military ball ammo.  Reloaders beware.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Troy,

or any one with the answer,

What about the hard Mil-Spec primers sold by CCI (?) I think.

Do they have the same brisance as standard CCI 400's?

Big Al
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Troy,

or any one with the answer,

What about the hard Mil-Spec primers sold by CCI (?) I think.

Do they have the same brisance as standard CCI 400's?

Big Al
View Quote

CCIs "Mil-Spec" small rifle primer is the no. 41 primer.  "Brisance" is the shattering effect of an explosive so I'm not sure what you are asking.  

CCI states that the 41 primer is a magnum primer with the same performance as the CCI 450 Mag primer, which is what I think you wanted to know.

MM
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top