Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 6:18:23 PM EDT
does anyone know if there's a commercial load for the 80gr sierras? if so, who makes it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.ammoman.com/images/223%20XM193A1.jpg[/img]

Ammoman sells it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks, i appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Please be careful of the XM223M1 from Ammoman. I have been there/done that.  This is made, as they describe, for "very deep throated" rifles.  It would not seat properly in my DCM, Varminteer or chrome 1:9 as the bullet/load is too long and too wide in the chamber.  It actually stuck to the point that if I extracted an unfired cartridge the bullet would remain stuck in the chamber.  I have informaion on advice from both Federal and Bushmaster that this was designed for a special military competition rifle that is rare in the civilian world.  Enter at your own risk. Be aware it is potentially very dangerous per Bushmaster and Federal.  Bushmaster response was: "Thank you for getting back to me with this information. I was unaware of the non-spec ammunition... It should be noted that the (military) rifle has a tighter SAAMI Spec headspacing but the throat is not the short .223 Spec found in .223 caliber chambering. Headspace is measured from a datum line on the shoulder of the chamber with the matched bolt. The throat or leade still accommodates 5.56mm ammunition."
Federal would only discuss over the phone and would not discuss in email.

My recomendation is to only get a small amount and check it out carefully, especially on seating and extracting without firing before buying a lot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#4]
now that you mention it, i remember hearing about those chambers when i used to shoot service rifle competition. the chambers are basically designed around shooting the 80gr bullet. well, i reckon it might be easier to just reload my own.

does federal make loads for the 77gr sierra as well?

i know that they roll ones with the 69gr.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't know about Federal, but Black Hills loads both the 69gr and 77gr SMK's, magazine length.  Good stuff.  [url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
does federal make loads for the 77gr sierra as well?

i know that they roll ones with the 69gr.
View Quote

I believe they do, however they aren't listed on the Federal website.

Then again, the 80gr SMK isn't listed there either.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
If there loaded for mil contract the OAL should be around 2.50" which is on the long side for most non-match chambered/throated AR bbl's; Colt HBARS and GOV barrels should be able to take um that long....Best thing to do is not buy loaded factory 80 sierra loads and stick to factory mag length 77's if you don't wan't to reload your own ammo ....
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top