Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2003 3:33:33 PM EDT
Ok, after a long day of bringing home the bacon, I don't want to try to make sense of ammo-oracle or any other such data.

Here's my question:

I have a DPMS 16" (m4 profile as if that mattered) non-chrome 1:9 barrelled upper.  Which of the following would give me the best results?

Winchester USA 223 Rem 55gr FMJ (Q3131A)
OLYMPIC 223 GREEN TIP (SS109) 62 GRAIN - STEEL CORE
Federal 223 Remington, Lake City Brass, 55 gr FMJ

This is purely blasting ammo, but I want to actually be able to hit something if I try.  I'm in no way concerned with the wound channel, stopping power, etc.  I want it to fly out the barrel and generally in the direction of the target.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're lazy, you want a shotgun as you don't really have to aim.

but I want to actually be able to hit something if I try.
View Quote

Like what?  Is it a barn door? Horse-fly at 500 yards? Nose hairs at 200 ft?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have shot alot of XM193 its been very good to me. Have shot Win Q3131 also with good results. I prefer the LC XM193 though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Q3131A would be my choice since it's usually lower in price than LC and has better availability. Also, read the ammunition review tacked to the top about what people have to say about various types of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
View Quote

Don't know much about shotguns, do ya?

Like what? Is it a barn door? Horse-fly at 500 yards? Nose hairs at 200 ft?
View Quote

Well, considering we're talking about comparing the ammos' performance out of the same rifle, I really don't think that it matters what I'm shooting at.  The three selections I put down (based solely on price) sure aren't going to hit a horse-fly at 500 yards, now are they?  For the sake of simplifying it so you can keep up, let's say that I want to shoot a 12" square at 100 yards.

Thanks Knightsar and Zhukov for the help.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Forget the Olympic ss109, it's crap.  It's the only ammo I've ever had a problem with, lots of FTF, even locked up my bolt carrier.  If you want some SS109 go with IMI M855 or Hotshot, I've had success with those, though the Hotshot was alittle dirty.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
For the sake of simplifying it so you can keep up, let's say that I want to shoot a 12" square at 100 yards.
View Quote

You can do that with Wolf, and it is probably some of the cheapest stuff around...
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For the sake of simplifying it so you can keep up, let's say that I want to shoot a 12" square at 100 yards.
View Quote

You can do that with Wolf, and it is probably some of the cheapest stuff around...
View Quote

True, that may be reeeeeeally lowering the bar, but other qualities of the ammo interest me as well (dirty, flash, etc.) and I was hoping y'all had some input on this.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok, after a long day of bringing home the bacon, I don't want to try to make sense of ammo-oracle or any other such data.
View Quote

Frankly, one of the major reasons we put up the [url=http://www.ammo-oracle.com/]AR15.com Ammo Oracle[/url] is because after a long day of bringing home the bacon we are tired of answering the same basic questions every single day about the same ammo in the same rifles for people too glued to their lay-z-boy chairs to do 15 minutes of their own damn homework.

Don't get me wrong, I love helping people, but not if they get into the habit of consulting me like some kind of lexicon because of some alergic reaction they have to work.

That the poster here expects this as a matter of course is somewhat annoying.  That he announces it with something like pride makes me quite angry.  Overall, it makes me highly unlikely to be willing to help at all and in the end it's just plain rude.

Here's my question:

I have a DPMS 16" (m4 profile as if that mattered) non-chrome 1:9 barrelled upper.  Which of the following would give me the best results?

Winchester USA 223 Rem 55gr FMJ (Q3131A)
OLYMPIC 223 GREEN TIP (SS109) 62 GRAIN - STEEL CORE
Federal 223 Remington, Lake City Brass, 55 gr FMJ
View Quote

Of course, we have no idea.

Each rifle is an individual and some hate ammo that others love.  I have two Bushmasters I acquired from the same place and that are less than 200 off in serial numbers that are total opposites when it comes to which ammo they like.

This is purely blasting ammo, but I want to actually be able to hit something if I try.  I'm in no way concerned with the wound channel, stopping power, etc.  I want it to fly out the barrel and generally in the direction of the target.
View Quote

Then buy whatever is cheap and see if it works.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Just save up for the deals when they occur on Q3131a, like when Bass Pro Shops had a sale for $144/1000rds.  Get lots and lots (like 3 cases if you can get away with it).  Federal XM193 is also good, but not as many good deals.  Get lots of either, forget the rest.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't know much about shotguns, do ya?
View Quote

I only shoot trap once a month and I never aim; I just follow the bird with my eye and pull the trigger when it feels right.  Seems to work.

Quoted:
Like what? Is it a barn door? Horse-fly at 500 yards? Nose hairs at 200 ft?
View Quote

Well, considering we're talking about comparing the ammos' performance out of the same rifle, I really don't think that it matters what I'm shooting at.  The three selections I put down (based solely on price) sure aren't going to hit a horse-fly at 500 yards, now are they?  For the sake of simplifying it so you can keep up, let's say that I want to shoot a 12" square at 100 yards.
View Quote

You've obviously never seen the horse-flies near Virginia Beach!  I can't vouch for your rifle or shooting but I can hit a 12" square at 100 yards with Wolf in an M16 all day long shooting weak hand.  The Winchester is good as I've been able to stay under 4" with iron sights on a Thompson Contender.  The only DPMS upper I ever owned was a 20" beast that never ran better than 90% so it was Ebayed; can't help you with the 16".

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Tatjana,

I'm really sorry you feel put out, but I posted this in a public forum, and you are free not to answer.  For your information, I'm glued to technical manuals right now, not a lazy boy chair.  The little shotglass I have for a brain is full of other things right now.  I did read the entire page, and managed to gleen some important information from it.  However, I was hoping that someone had some experience with the actual ammo that I had referenced, and I figured around here that someone might have a similar setup and know if one round or another gave significatly different results.

One of the posters, phobia, has given me some insight on the Olympic, and after checking the pinned posts, it seems that the general consensus is that it is inferior ammo.

I typically buy ammo by the case, and before I commit to buy hundreds of dollars worth of ammo, I'd like to get some input on wether it would shoot well.  I plan on purchasing small quantities for testing, but again, I'm trying to get a starting point.  If you don't want to help, then keep moving.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]
BTW...

Tatjana, thank you for the work you put into ammo-oracle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Techbrute,

I have had good luck with both Winchester USA 55gr FMJ and Q3131A through my 16" DPMS (M4 profile too, if it matters [;)]).  No failures of any type, and the rfiel seems to run pretty clean with it.  I use the USA stuff when I don't have time to mail order, but I like the satisfying punch of the Q3131A enough that I just bough 1000 rds this weekend.

Can't comment on the other brands, haven't used them.  I have some American Eagle stuff but always forget to break it out at the range, I just like the Winchester stuff so much!

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top