Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 4:42:31 AM EDT
I would like everyone's SHTF input on what they would use in a MP5/UZI type gun.

I was looking at the 9mm Luger NATO +P+
by Hirtenberger.

Thank you for the replies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend the Winchester 147 gr Ranger if you can find it. But whatever you pick, test it thoroughly to make sure it functions well in your gun. Many sub-guns like the MP5 can be a bit more finicky about the ammo they like than pistols. So just find one of the top performing loads such as the Winchester 147 gr Ranger, Speer 124 and 147 gr Gold Dot, Remington 147 gr Golden Saber, etc and test it for accuracy and function. Choose the one that performs best.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the Hirtenberger 124 grain FMJ (the infamous L7A1 load, 1991 production) in my Sterling.  Some of that seems to have popped up on the market lately.  I've been advised NOT to use it in any handguns or locked breach carbines or SMGs.  It's a pretty warm load, but seems to function fine in the Sterling which cycles using a "blow back" type action.  I would think the Hirtenberger ammo would be OK for an Uzi too.  I do not, however, use it in my H&K or any other locked breach firearm.

It bothers me some that the ammo I use in my carbines cannot be safely used in my handguns.  Once I use up the Hirtenberger I have (only 1,100 or so more rounds to go), I probably will change over to a load that I can use in both.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Do [b]NOT[/b] use the Hirtenberger +P+ in an MP5 or any closed bolt type subgun, it will break parts.  This ammo was specifically made for the Sterling to be use in arctic conditions.  It will work in the Uzi but the ROF will be higher.  I used to shoot a good quantity of the IMI TZZ stuff but have switched to Wolf some years back due to cost.  I personally do not stock 9mm for SHTF; for that, I have a reserve of 223 and 308.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok I'll be more specific. Forget the MP5. Don't have one. Have a Model A Uzi.
I want some [b]available[/b] hot loaded ammo.
Winchester Ranger ammo is almost non-exsistent in case form. I can get 1200 of the Hirtenberger. I hear that the jacket is thin for good expansion.
I have looked at Corbon, golden sabers, ammoman's federal +p+ loads.
I wanted to know good hot ammo for my uzi.
I don't have a 9mm pistol, so I don't care about cross over.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Go for it, the Hirtenberger stuff is as hot as they come.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank You.
Hail Mary, have you any experience with this stuff?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#7]
By all means...  if you want speedy, high pressure 9mm, the Hirtenberger is about as hot as you can get unless you reload the ammo yourself.  It's expensive.  The last case (1,200 rounds) I saw (gun show) was listed for $160.  It is very high quality stuff.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
In a SHTF scenario you should probably go with quantity over quality of individual rounds, so a good supply of FMJ ammo like PMC is a good idea.

If you are hot for hollowpoints, you can get 500 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P ammo from Ammoman.com for something like 90 bucks. This is top quality ammo that is just like what you buy in the over-priced 20 round boxes. I have 46 of these rounds on me at the moment in my Walther P99 and the two spare mags I am carrying.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thank You.
Hail Mary, have you any experience with this stuff?
View Quote

I've fired about 500rds thru a FA Uzi and it was pretty hot; ran about as fast as a .45 FA Uzi.  I also know someone that broke the weld on his M11 with this stuff but then some of the M11s had bad welds so can't really blame this ammo for that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok! Hirtenberger it is.
Thank you all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top