Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2003 6:28:56 PM EDT
Greetings all. I have a question regarding ammo, specifically Q3131A. Here's the story that got me here.... Took out my Bushie M4gery to the range. Second trip, already broken in. I took with me about 120 rounds of surplus FN ammo, 55 grain, and 100 rounds of Q3131A. FN was flawless, first 40 rounds of Q3131A, flawless. Next box, load, get to the third round, and something feels wrong. Look inside the ejection port, and I have the spent casing from #3 stuck in the chamber with round #4.

After I removed them, ran 3 more shots, jammed again. Pulled ammo out of clip, ran some more FN, nothing wrong. Ran 30 rounds of Wolf, no problem. A friend at the range took 30 rounds of the Q3131A I had and ran it through his RRA M4gery, no problems. Ran it one more time in the Bushy, jam. What am I missing here(besides the ability to make a long story short)???

Appreciate any help you guys could give.
P.S. This is one of the greatest sights on the web.

Kush
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You say that two cases were stuck in the chamber?  Don't think that is possible, did you mean two cases stuck in the receiver?  The reason I ask is that what usually causes a fired case to be left in the chamber is different that what causes a fired case to be left in the upper receiver.  That said, I would normally guess that either your ejector or extractor was not functioning correctly, but the fact that it doesn't show up with other ammo is odd and sort of throws a monkey wrench into that assumption.

This is my best guess on what is happening, but I could be wrong.  What could cause this is that the two different types of ammo are loaded to different pressures, with one type causing the action to cycle faster than the other.  The difference in cyclic rate can cause the ejector or extractor to function improperly if they are functioning marginally to begin with.  The fact that the problems started all of a sudden would indicate to me that possibly some brass flakes found their way inbetween the ejector and its recess, causing it to slow up some and not properly eject the case.  If this is the case, you could either lube the ejector as per the military user manual, which might work, or remove the ejector and clean the recess which would most likely be the better way to make sure the ejector functions properly.  If the fired case is being left in the chamber, then ignore that last little bit because your problem is with the extractor instead.

You may want to pose this question over in the trouble shooting forum since someone more knowledgable than I would probably respond there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same problem with my DPMS.  It will not shoot the SA ammo.  Wolf works just fine and so does Winchester.  I just quit using the SA ammo and my problems are gone.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top