Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2003 5:08:13 PM EDT
Question for you guy's. Is the xm 193 in the kraft brown box with 55 gr boat tail on the box the same as the white box Federal xm 193. Don't remember if the white box say's boat tail. Also, the loose 1,000 round cases that you see on the net, how do you know which one it is or lot # for that matter,if that make a different? Finally, some time ago I ran across a few boxes of m193 that were in kraft boxes and the only name on them was Lake City. Memory serves me right, it was hotter and much more accurate than the xm 193 under the Lake City/Federal name. Has the m193 round changed?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It's the same stuff. Evidently it is cheaper to just use the plain packaging, so that's how they do it now. I have some of both and they shoot the same.

In regards to the loose packed ammo, I may or may not be able to help you. Perhaps the info you seek will be marked on the can somewhere. That's about the only way I can think of in which that info could be provided. But if in doubt and if the lot# is important to you, don't buy loose packed ammo. Get it in boxes.

The stuff you bought marked "Lake City M193" is essentially the same thing as what's available now (perhaps some of today's isn't sealed). Clinton in his infinite wisdom disallowed US mil-surp ammo to be sold to civilians, so that is why we can no longer get Lake City marked ammo. But Federal (who currently operates the Lake City plant) load up ammo to M193 specs and sell it to the civilian market as fresh production. Since it isn't surplus or made specifically for the military, it can be sold to us. The only way to get surplus US 5.56mm ammo now is if someone goes through the process to de-mil and reprocess it. Talon is one company that does this.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
But Federal (who currently operates the Lake City plant) load up ammo to M193 specs and sell it to the civilian market as fresh production. Since it isn't surplus or made specifically for the military, it can be sold to us.
View Quote

So the brown-box stuff is current production for the civilian market ? I didn't know if there was enough of a market for Federal to actually go through the hassle to sell it to the general public. Most people don't get all glassy eyed when they hear "M193". If they do, then it'd be nice to see it become available in a few more places too....
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Zhukov,

There is actually a strong demand for this ammo on the civilian market. Afterall it's no more expensive than commercial 55 gr FMJ and offers much better performance. It has really caught on and Federal seems to recognize how popular it is as they have commented to several members here that they will make this ammo a permanent part of their line. I suspect websites like this one do a lot in getting the word out to the masses.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There is actually a strong demand for this ammo on the civilian market.
View Quote

Yeah - I forgot that the 100 or so hardcore ammo-whores on this board actually do constitute a significant commercial demand. [:D]

That's cool though - it will definitely help availability and can't hurt the overall prices either. I've seen the brown box stuff and always thought that it's some older ammo, like from the 80's or something.

[Edited: The spelling was right on this one, but I couldn't leave the incorrect subject/verb agreement stand. My English teacher would've been so proud.]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Charging Handle, thanks for your reply! Ammoman's picture of his 1000 round cases at his site show a lot of numbers on the label but I couldn't distinguish any lot numbers. Has any one here got a bad lot of xm 193?

Thanks,

Dropd57
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#6]
dropd57,

As far as I know there have never been any significant problems with any of the XM193 lots. Some lots are sealed while others are not and that may be an issue to some. But if it's stored properly it shouldn't really matter either way. The bottom line is that XM193 is darn good ammo for the price.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi Charging_handle! Although I'm relatively new to this site, I have been around AR's for quite awhile...  I,ve learned more about ammo and function for these animals, in the last couple of weeks here, then I did in the last 30 years on my own! I now shoot only xm193, LC193, or Q3131A in my AR's, and my shooting buddies all shoot the same ammo as me now! So, you are most correct in you influence assumption about this forum! We shoot a lot..Federal & Win. should give you guys a performance bonus! I'm just happy to learn! Thanks for all! Till...later...GT
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The 2-500 round cases of Federal XM193 I bought last week were all 2003 headstamp.  They came in the brown boxes.  Not a single burp or malf.

Big Al
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#9]
GSSP, In the past I always shot a 68 or 69gr bullet but since I had White Oak build me a free floated svc match upper with a Pac Nor 1x12 twist barrel for reduced matches,I have been trying different 55gr bullets and ammo. The brown box surprised me! Where did you get it and how much?
Thanks,
Dropd57
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Dropd57,

Well, you're in CT and I'm in UT.  I don't think Sportsman Warehouse goes that far east.  It retails for $199.5/1000 plux 6.25% tax here.  But, I'm a small time FFL and get it for $162.5 out their wholesalers door, which is just a block away from the retail outlet.  

Big Al
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]www.sportsmansguide.com[/url]

[url]www.natchezss.com[/url]

[url]www.ammoman.com[/url]

These are 3 of the most popular places to get XM193. Natchez and ammoman also carry the Q3131A.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Charging Handle, I can't find it on Sportsmansguides page. What's it under?

Thanks,

Dropd57

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
[url=]www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=47461[/url]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]
  I bought a 500 round box of the Federal
LC XM193 today at a gun show and when I got home and opened it up, I found that the headstamps were mixed dates from 00,01, and 02.  
  Is this normal to get mixed dated brass like this when you buy the ammo in a sealed 500 round case?  
 The ammo was packed in the 20 round brown Kraft type boxes, LOT 25.
Tnx...
JD

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Same here. I ordered 1000 rounds from sportsmans guide and found '00, '01, '02, and '03 head stamps. Same question, is that normal?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Same here. I ordered 1000 rounds from sportsmans guide and found '00, '01, '02, and '03 head stamps. Same question, is that normal?
View Quote

I did the same thing but all mine were head stamped 02 and 03.

edited to add:

The 2-500 round cases of Federal XM193 I bought last week were all 2003 headstamp. They came in the brown boxes. Not a single burp or malf.
View Quote

Mabey they were using up the old stock first.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top