Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 10:59:16 PM EDT
Has anyone ever bought ammo based on looks? I did! I just picked up a box of Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips...what an awesome looking Cartridge!

So, I did a little experiment with a few non-gunning friends: I showed them my AR, and a plain ol' Q3131A...then I brought out a single Win. Silvertip. "Holy $hi-, are those legal?" "Is that a black Talon?" "That'll go through body armor, right?"

What a hoot! Well, one thing is certain...winchester/nosler did a great job designing the "look" of the Supreme ammo.

Oh, and the color scheme looks great with an AR.  

PS...Are these things any good as ammo goes?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard that it is just about impossibe to get the moly coating out of your barrel after you shoot them. And that accracy will degrade with the build up of the moly.

I may be wrong though.

As for has termal (sp?) ballistics go I think it says on the ammo orical that ballistic tip ammo makes wounds that are to shallow for self defense perpuses. They are good for acurate plinking or vament hunting if you have a varment AR.

Or so I have been told.  

FYI: You can get ballistic tips with out the molly coating. Just so you know you have other options.  

Of course you might get less humorus recations from those. [ROFL]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm...I am interested to hear what others have to say about the moly coating. I may just have to keep them around for "show".  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
They should make excellent varmint rounds but there are better choices for self defense use in .223 caliber. I agree, they do look cool. I have some for my .308 and like them really well. Very accurate and good terminal performance.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have heard that it is just about impossibe to get the moly coating out of your barrel after you shoot them. And that accracy will degrade with the build up of the moly.

I may be wrong though.
View Quote

As one who has fired 1000s of moly coated bullets, both for pleasure and the occasional HP matches, this is not correct.

Moly coated rounds, while a bit messier, clean up just fine.

BTW, the claim of accuracy degradation is not correct either.

While the last box of 500 77 grn. SMKs I bought aren't moly, the only reason I have decided to stop using them, is that clean up is messier and requires 1 or 2 additional brushings of the bore, in order to get it clean.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I took three deer with them last season. Of course, I blew the crap out of 'em with the 'ol 7mm Rem mag, not the .223. Kinda overkill on small, Texas hill-country deer. One shot was all it took. Two dropped on the spot, the other ran 30 yards (which was pretty impressive because he was missing a couple of things, such as his heart and lungs...)
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever bought ammo based on looks?
View Quote

Very funny.  I've bought drinks based on looks but never ammo; my main concern with ammo is that it's cheap.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny!  That is my main concern with drinks!

Live fast

Love hard

Drink cheap!

Ammunition should be reliable, accurate, and powerful. After these standards have been met, cheap is nice, as is pretty.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to hijack thread, but is there any difference between moly and Lubalox coatings used on bullets?

MM419
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought the whole point of Moly was that you didn't want it all scrubbed out? ...that you wanted a coating of it in your barrel for lubrication?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been shooting Winny BST's out of my Bushy Varminter and two 22-250's for 3 years now and those 3 rifles always have been and still are tack drivers!!! I shoot crows at 300yrds for shits and giggles. Have to admit it is some good looking ammunition too. My personal opinion is shoot them with confidence. Although I do agree with [b]Charging_Handle[/b] and keep better self defense suited ammo in my other AR's.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not to hijack thread, but is there any difference between moly and Lubalox coatings used on bullets?

MM419
View Quote

Yes, they are different compounds so winchester could have a proprietary coating

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever bought ammo based on looks? I did! I just picked up a box of Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips...what an awesome looking Cartridge!

So, I did a little experiment with a few non-gunning friends: I showed them my AR, and a plain ol' Q3131A...then I brought out a single Win. Silvertip. "Holy $hi-, are those legal?" "Is that a black Talon?" "That'll go through body armor, right?"

What a hoot! Well, one thing is certain...winchester/nosler did a great job designing the "look" of the Supreme ammo.

Oh, and the color scheme looks great with an AR.  

View Quote

Norma and Nosler are coming out with a new color combination- It will look very cool.   It will probably be very expensive (being Norma), but i hope i can get a round from the factory for free
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you happen to know the name of the nosler/norma ammo you are talking about?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I have some Supreme BST and They are damn sexy.  I like the look and the feel of that moly coated bullet on my finger tip!!! Oh yeah.  But this is coming from a guy who gets excited thinking about large quantities of shiny ammo of any sort.  I just love picking it up and listening to it chink.  [FYI, as much as I like the looks and feel of shiny ammo, I like spending it alot more, the concussion, the boom, the smell, the sound of the brass hitting the pavement, holy shit, I have to go shooting soon!]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you happen to know the name of the nosler/norma ammo you are talking about?
View Quote

No, but i can find out.   I live in Bend, the Nosler factory is around 5 miles away.   I know a few people that work there.    (the ones that haven't been fired for no reason anyway).     I don't think the load will be available to the public for a nother couple of months, it might be in the planning stages still.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top