Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 6:10:38 AM EDT
My first dilema was to ask this question on the ammo side or the optic side.  

For a great price I can purchase either a TA01 or TA31A ACOG at cost.

My question is whether or not M193 or even M855 effective ranges comes into play upto 800M.  I've read the Ammo Oracle numerous times and from my 16" barrel understand the effective range is 95M for the M855 and 150M for the M193 ammo.  

So why should I bother?  I understand some other 223 rounds with a heavier bullet might be more effective at longer range but will the reticles be dialed in?

Big Al
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Well first, I am NO expert by any means, but it seems to me that the US never intended the 5.56 round to be a long range round. Knowing this I know new bullet technology is coming into play to try and change that. I would use your 16" carbine for 0-200 meters, and get a .308 or something more powerful for longer ranges. I sure you will love those AOCG's no matter what though. Good luck and happy shooting.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Out at those very long ranges M193, M855 or even the OTM loads aren't gonna be fragmenting. But if you think the ACOG could improve your ability to make hits, then go for it. It is a great scope and can be used at a variety of ranges. And it doesn't have batteries to fail you at the worst moment.

While it's true that the 5.56mm's wounding abilities tapers off with range, a .22 caliber hole through the chest still doesn't sound like much fun to me. But any round on target is better than one that misses, so if you think the ACOG would improve your ability to make longer range hits, then by all means get one.

-Charging Handle
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top