Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2003 11:50:41 AM EDT
Can someone give me the scoop on this stuff?  I just picked up 100 rnds of the stuff, black tipped, supposedly armor piercing.  Got 100 rnds for $24. The head stamp says .223 and a goofy looking symbol like a question mark.  The box reads SS109 Is this stuff any good?  Can anyone give me their reviews on this stuff?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
true armor piercing isn't leagal, and ss109 isn't classified as armor piercing it just has  a steel penetrator cap infront of the lead and allows it to penetrate further but not thru armor
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I thought it wasnt legal.  But what about this ammo?  It says ss109 5.56 on the box but the cartridge head stamp reads 223 and some bogus, knockoff of a NATO symbol on it.  Is this false advertising?  I always new those bosnians were nothing but terrorist lovers.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#3]
It's M855 with the tips painted black instead of green.
Because of the steel penetrator, good'ol boys like to call it "Armor Piercing" - it is not.

Do a search, this has been covered in depth about that Bosnian black tip.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Read some of the old threads on this very board about this ammo, it is excellent ammo accurate  (for a ss109) and perform just like a SS109. It is not Junk ammo.

Bear in mind that there are variations in ss109 so dont be surprised to see a .223 chambering as opposed to M855 which is a US standard with no Variations from the original specs.

Enjoy your ammo , it shoots a little dirty thats about it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#5]
OBTW, nether SS109 nor M855 are true Armor piercing Ammunition, they are Called "enhanced penetrators" They were designed to be able to penetrrate a Kevlar Helmet at about 600 meters and that they have done they will penetrate Helmets, Vests, and light Armor up to about 1/4 inch steel plates so dont take them for granted just because they are not illegal like true AP rounds (in .223 5.56) ) they are serious rounds and should not be fired at anything that cannot stop them including BG's, they dont tumble a lot because they carry a lot weight in the tips as opposed to a M193 which carry the weight in the hips and rear.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:01:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  I dont really care about the black tips, I just wanted to know why the box read one thing and the case read another.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top