Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 6:34:51 PM EDT
Whats the difference between ballistic Gelatin and regular gelatin?  I know gelatin is basically animal cartilage(?) but is something added/removed for use in weapons ammo testing?  I know it is calibrated at 10% but is that really all there is too it concerning consistency?  Just a few thoughts!  THanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Knox gelatin is used.  This topic was discussed recently, so it may be worth your while to do a search.

The key points to remember is not to add the gelatin to boiling water.  I can't remember the exact temperature you're not supposed to exceed.  Once made, the gelatin is kept refrigerated at 4 deg Celcius, and should be refrigerated until used.  Temperature has a significant effect on bullet penetration/performance, so it should be used quickly once removed.  It is calibrated with a steel BB.  I keep threatening to make some and finally put to rest the whole question of 7.62X39 HP and SP expansion question (for myself, anyway).  Dr. Martin Fackler developed the exact recipe in one of his articles that I have buried on my desk somewhere.  If you want the info, IM me and I'll look it up if you can't find it with a search or if someone else doesn't post it/a link to it here.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You can find info (i.e. how to make it and calibrate it) at www.firearmstactical.com in one of their 'briefs'.

There are now 2 sources of Gelatin.  If you do a search I posted a bunch of links a few weeks ago on this very subject.  I think it was in the "68gr" thread.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got the recipe here a few weeks ago for some of my own 75 and 77 gr testing.  If you can put up your e-mail, I'll send it to you.  I have it in word format.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Ya know, somebody should spend the time and develop a gelatin (or other material) that has the same consistency in the 70ºF - 100ºF range.  There has to be SOME way to do it.  It would make it a lot easier to conduct ballistic testing if we didn't have to keep the stuff refrigerated until use.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help and advice here everyone.  Hoping to get into this soon!  Horik
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top