Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 10:19:01 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me what brand of ammo this is?  Sportsman's Guide is sell it, their item number is WX2 - 71634

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=71634

And, has anyone purchased and shot any?  Comments?

Thanks!
Sarge
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:43:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe this is the new packaging used by Barnaul. It's Russian ammo with steel cases that's laquer coated. It also likely has a liberal amount of red sealant around the primer that will flake off and create a mess inside your firearms's action. It's dirty and slightly less accurate usually than the budget US .223 loads. And the quoted 2,341 FPS velocity is far too high. From an AR length barrel this stuff will be lucky to chrono at 2800 fps. Also, unlike M193 it will not fragment due to it's thicker jacket and lack of a cannelure.

The stuff is comparable to Wolf and Uly ammo. Actually, all of the Russian ammo is pretty much the same. It isn't great stuff but it's cheap and will do for plinking. However some people think the steel cases are rough on extractors. Use at your own risk. Some people swear by it, others swear at it. Only you can decide. Hehe.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
yep that barnaul shot 4 boxes of it without a problem.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been doing a lot of reading on plinking ammo recently.  I just got my bushmaster and need about 1000 rounds for my training class.  I don't think that there are as many negative issues with this ammunition as some people would have us believe.  I recently shot some wolf and it did fine, along with some new XM193 from Federal and some older MAL M193 (1982).  I think, in general, Barnaul is held in a little higher reguard than Wolf.  If the price is right and it functions properly, I'll shoot it!

Thanks for all the help.

Sarge
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you descibe the headstamp.

There is a world of difference between Wolf Barnaul, Uly, and the other brands.  Wolf is by far the worst of the Russian ammo.  All Russian ammo is NOT the same in quality.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not purchased any yet and I understand they will not have any more until 22 July.  I was trying to figure out if it was Barnaul before I purchased any.  I have heard several good comments about the Barnaul (in contrast to Wolf).

Sarge
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top