User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 6:21:55 AM EDT
Hi, I just purchased my very first semi auto
rifle a DPMS Panther AR-15 Post Ban .223 caliber
16" 1 in 9 crome Moly carbine.
I can really use help selecting ammo, I have been reading postings on selecting ammo but having trouble with the "decideing" .223 or go with surplus 5.56 I am confused on the weather I should or should not use 5.56 ammo such as M193 SS109 and such. most interested in using the M193 but from what I understand the .223 and 5.56 are exactly alike only the mil spec 5.56 is much more powerful and will damage my rifle..i'm not sure on that or if it's true at all can use some advise there.....
if I should use only .223 ammo I need some help selecting type and weight..
i'm thinking 55 grain but not sure..it's a
1 in 9 twist barrel.
I plan on only plinking up to 300 yards and shooting Paper targets from 25 to 300 yards
I like to shoot for best group size and accuracy. but the lake city M193 interest me for plinking because it's very loud
would be fun to play with :)
also i'm on a tight tight budget,want the cheapest but best quality ammo I can find. $10-$15 most for 20-50 rounds.
thanks much for any help
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Read this yet?

[url]www.ammo-oracle.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi, I am reading the info at ammo-oracle but it seems to mostly talk about the 5.56 or I missed the .223...
The rifle parts are DPMS I put it together so I don't know exactly what rifle it is but it has a DPMS post ban lower and I just bought the DPMS upper from MidwayUSA here is the info from there site:
DPMS Upper Receiver AR-15 A2 223 Remington Post Ban with Bolt Carrier Assembly 16" Chrome Moly
Product #: 369226
Manufacturer #: BA-A2AS-16P
I will find DPMS's area here and check it out and probably contact them as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I do believe that the dpms uppers have a 5.56 chamber even though the barrel is stamped .223.  I have shot the win. q3131a and win. 62gr fmj and have no complaints about either round.  Both shoot real close to the same point of aim at 50yds.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:08:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I own a DPMS 20" Classic A2. DPMS reps verbally confirmed to me that their barrels are chambered to handle both 5.56 and .223.

I have shot Federal XM193 5.56 without issue. It is hotter than the commercial .223 rounds and the rifle loves it. I am aware that Winchester 3131A (IMI) is similar in spec, but have never fired any.

I have also used Federal American Eagle, UMC and Winchester 40rd Value Pack FMJ .223 ammo without issue. While all appear about 5-10% cooler than the XM193, all have worked well. I have not tried S&B.

Some forum members have said they have not experienced problems with Russian 223 (Wolf, Bernaul, or Silver Bear), but I have made no effort to even try it. I am generally suspicious of foreign ammo, don't trust their QC. Finally, one bit of wisdom from my gunsmith ... weapons are generally designed and built around the ammo available in the country of origin ... firing an AK47 or SKS, use Russian ammo ... firing an AR15, use American style ammo.

My general rule is to buy American ammo in bulk when it goes on sale ... I figure if I'm shooting a quality weapon, I should stay with quality ammo, and do my best to minimize cost.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
For good a price, excellent results and sub- moa groups.

[url]www.georgia-arms.com/index.htm[/url]

GEORGIA ARMS

VARMINT AMMUNITION

Georgia Arms "Precision Plus" rifle ammunition loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tip boat tail bullets in varmint calibers have the superb accuracy and sizzling velocity you need for those long shots delivering explosive energy to dispatch even the most rugged varmint on the spot!

223 Remington
G223A 55GR Ballistic Tip $15.00/50rnds,
$145.00/500rnds, $280.00/1000rnds for theyre Remanufactured ammo and New Ammunition costs a little more, but like I've said I've had good results with thier Remanufactured ammo.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the helpful replys, DPMS confirmed the 5.56 chamber in my rifle as well so i'm looking for some american made ammo now..fed or win m193. found some in small amounts at cheaper than dirt just to plink with..$150+ for ammo is just to much for me right now so i'll take $3 a box untel I get enuff for actually getting 1000 rounds.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top