Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2003 3:15:29 AM EDT
What groups do you guys get with your RRA varminters?

What "stock" ammo works the best? Yes, I have piles of all of this ammo laying around. I know how it fires. I know how it groups out of a RRA standard a2. I am looking for specific info pertaining to a varminter.

Lake City?
PMC?
SA battlepack?

edited because UMC shot crappy...
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I am sending this back to the top as I have on order a RRA match rifle (20" barrel and 1 in 8 too)and am too wondering which ammo would work best.  

I am collecting various brands of 20 round boxs of ammo to test, but if there is better experiance out there, please let us know.

SA and Wolf are not in its future... thanks

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Every rifle shoots commercial ammo a little differently.  In fact I just got done reading a thread where a guy claimed that his Bushmaster gets better accuracy than Q3131A.  My experience is completely different.  Wolf shoots 4 MOA in my gun at best.

It all depends on the RRA Varminter's chamber.  If it is chambered for SAAMI .223 REM (for higher accuracy) then I would not recommend any 5.56mm.

[b]I would not recommend:[/b]
LC XX (any year) (5.56mm)
Win. Q3131(A) (5.56mm)
SA Battlepacks (5.56mm)
Guatemalean Surplus (5.56mm)
S&B (any)
Wolf (.223)
Someone elses reloads (any)

[b]I WOULD recommend:[/b]
Remington UMC .223
PMP (gazelle box) (.223)
Winchester USA .223
Black Hills (.223)
Remington or Winchester game loads (.223)
Your own reloads (.223)

[b]I have had best results with:[/b]
Winchester USA 45 gr. JHP (commercial hunting ammo)
PMP (gazelle box) for plinking.

[b]I have no experience with:[/b]
Olympic ammo (Greek 5.56)
PMC (any)
Hot-Shot (.223)
Coyote Duster (.223)
Silver Bear (.223 I think)
Barnaul (.223 I think)
Malaysian Surplus (5.56mm)
Radway Green (British 5.56mm)
Hornady TAP (.223)

If your chamber is 5.56 and your bore is chrome, shoot whatever you want.  Otherwise, take care of that weapon, and shoot good ammo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering this myself. I just got a RRA Varmint 24" with 1in8 twist. In the ads for the rifle it says it has a .223 Wylde chamber, but when I got it, the lower is marked 5.56. I called them to ask about this and the guy said the Wylde chamber is kinda a in-between chamber.
He said it will shoot any .223 and most 5.56 ammo.
He said 55-77gr. would be the most accurate.
I've got some  55gr. UMC I'm gonna try and I'm gonna see if I can find some Win. 55gr. varmint bulk packs at wally world.
Let us know what works best in yours.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was wondering this myself. I just got a RRA Varmint 24" with 1in8 twist. In the ads for the rifle it says it has a .223 Wylde chamber, but when I got it, the lower is marked 5.56. I called them to ask about this and the guy said the Wylde chamber is kinda a in-between chamber.
He said it will shoot any .223 and most 5.56 ammo.
He said 55-77gr. would be the most accurate.
I've got some  55gr. UMC I'm gonna try and I'm gonna see if I can find some Win. 55gr. varmint bulk packs at wally world.
Let us know what works best in yours.
View Quote

Firing slow (No, not cold firing...), UMC shot crappy. I'd keyhole 2, then one would go stray. For me, UMC "patterns"...
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Mugzilla,

I don't know if this will help or not but I have an Armalite Nat. Match 1in8 and LC ammo is very accurate for me. PMC is good stuff for the money but accuracy, while very acceptable for plinking, suffers a little in my experience. I also get very good accuracy with a number of Federal loads. Their 50gr flat base hollowpoint is a winner in my book and currently what I use for varminting. It is also very affordable. Hope this helps.    
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm new to this whole "match" rifle thing but I had a chance to shoot an RRA CMP rifle a bit.  I shot ~200 rounds of Black Hills (.223 Rem. 77gr Sierra Match King BTHP).  Seemed to be a good fit for each other, and that's what I'm going to start with when I get my own rifle.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My RRA w/ 20" SS bull bbl shoots Hornady TAP 75 gr and Black Hills 75 gr the best, Fed GMM and BH 69s work well too but not as well.  I regularly shootthree round groups of 1/2" at 100yds and have had many .25"  & .3" with TAP.  The trick is finding a reasonably priced source for TAP ammo.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#8]
My RRA likes anything from 55-77. It shoots the heavy stuff a little better but FED 55BT has no prob on woodchucks out to 300 or so. -Justin
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top