User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2003 12:16:29 PM EDT
anybody used this in an ar10?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:33:58 AM EDT
[#1]
What exactly do you want to know about this load? If it's accuracy, the round seems to be very accurate. If it's reliability, I haven't heard of any complaints with it and it seems to feed from mags alright. And in terms of lethality, it should be a great load for deer and smaller game. If you are interested in it for defensive purposes, it would probably rank a close second to the excellent 155 gr Hornady ballistic tip type load. Overall I'd say this is a good load. Hope I answered your question.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Great for varmints because it fragments violently on impact, but on anything larger it's not the ideal round.  The 155gr amax is good because of it's higher weight.  It's very accurate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I shot a mature antelope with a ballistic silvertip (270 WSM) last year and the results were devestating.  Death was insant.  The exit wound was enormous.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I switched to this round last year in 168-grain for my scoped M1A (my SA scope is calibrated for 168-grain match ammo).  Accuracy is extremely good, and consistent.  Getting 1.25" groups at 100 yards and 2.25" groups at 200 meters.  It's a good round in the wind as well, showing reliable drift characteristics (20 rounds in 25 mph left-to-right and countering cross-wind, and reliably grouped my shots at appx 3" nonetheless).  No FTF or FTE, but then my M1A would eat assholes and spit them out reliably.

Price can be a little high unless you buy it by the case (Cabela's had a kick-ass sale on cases right before deer hunting season last year).  I'd recommend a large lot anyway, if you're doing any distance shooting.  Good luck.

For what it's worth.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried one box of this stuff (168gr) out of my PSS, and I won't be buying more.

Accuracy was beyond dismal...as in 5-6" groups (if you can call those groups) at 100yds.

In comparison, Fed. GMM gives me 0.4"

I realize that some weapons are simply ammo sensitive, so I'm not gonna say this stuff is crap.  I just don't like it in my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot groups of 3 that could be covered with a quarter at 100 yds. using 168gr. Silver Tip out of my Rem. 700 ADL synthetic .308 - not too shabby.

I haven't fired anything but HTAP out of the PSS .308, so I can't compare results with Brouhaha.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my AR10 A4's all time favorite bullets is the Nosler 165grain Balistic Tip.   5 shot groups typically under an inch at 100 yards if I can manage to fight the trigger, not bad for a non-freefloated and crome lined barrel.    Often times I'll have 3 shots touching and two shots are responsible for opening up the group size.

Going by what my AR10 routinely does with that bullet I would not be one bit surprised if the Winchester Combined Tech. 168grn Balistic Tip was a solid performer in terms of accuracy.

I've always wanted to try it just to see if it would stand up to my expectations but I usually wind up buying another 100-200 rounds of Nosler 165grn Balistic Tips to reload rather than pay for a box or two of factory loaded ammo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks guys just wondered if anyone had tried it. i will check it out to see how it works in my ar10b.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top