Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/9/2022 2:35:49 PM EDT
The Baby Blaster parts are starting to arrive.
It's going to be different from the Hans Solo Blaster.
Most of them should be here this week.
I pick up the lower from the gun shop this Friday.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool! Can't wait to see it finished. 4.5" barrel and what, 3, 3.5" hand guard? The Franklin binary trigger works well in these.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's mine
I used a chopped down barrel stub and accuracy is not great.
I may spring for a quality integral bushing barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's mine
I used a chopped down barrel stub and accuracy is not great.
I may spring for a quality integral bushing barrel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/PXL_20220421_023157941_2_jpg-2377860.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/PXL_20220421_023211837_2_jpg-2377866.JPG
View Quote

Cool little gun. Tiny 22 AR's are a relatively new genre.

You could take your barrel to a machinist with a good lathe who can cut a precision crown on it in just a couple of minutes. Loss of accuracy occurs when the gas pressure behind the bullet doesn't escape completely even radially the instant the bullet leaves the end of the barrel, so the uneven release of gas pushes the bullet off center.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If there are no plans to "brace" the AR pistol, the overall height can be reduced by using High Tower Armory Glock sight adapters:

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cool! Can't wait to see it finished. 4.5" barrel and what, 3, 3.5" hand guard? The Franklin binary trigger works well in these.
View Quote

It's a 4 inch handguard, the shortest most simple one I could find.

The CMMG barrel is 4.5", and arrives tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it extends farther behind the handguard, so I'll likely install some sort of muzzle device to extend the barrel past the guard. It won't be the Hans Solo funnel. They're neat, but I'm going for a different look. The lower is a stripped Aero Precision. I think I have enough spare parts to fill it up. I'm not picky on the trigger as it's just a fun 22.

Gonna use an old school SP-1 scope on it for a retro look.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If there are no plans to "brace" the AR pistol, the overall height can be reduced by using High Tower Armory Glock sight adapters:
https://i.imgur.com/lGeVgkc.jpg

Best of luck.
View Quote

Thanks,that's a really good idea.
There's a lot of stuff on top of mine just for looks.
I'll find out how it actually handles at the range.

I got a regular non-dedicated lower with a standard ejection port and forward assist button just in case I want to make it into a .223 carbine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool little gun. Tiny 22 AR's are a relatively new genre.

You could take your barrel to a machinist with a good lathe who can cut a precision crown on it in just a couple of minutes. Loss of accuracy occurs when the gas pressure behind the bullet doesn't escape completely even radially the instant the bullet leaves the end of the barrel, so the uneven release of gas pushes the bullet off center.
View Quote

I've got a lathe, the crown and threads are fine, but i chambered it with a drill bit ??
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's a 4 inch handguard, the shortest most simple one I could find.

The CMMG barrel is 4.5", and arrives tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it extends farther behind the handguard, so I'll likely install some sort of muzzle device to extend the barrel past the guard. It won't be the Hans Solo funnel. They're neat, but I'm going for a different look. The lower is a stripped Aero Precision. I think I have enough spare parts to fill it up. I'm not picky on the trigger as it's just a fun 22.

Gonna use an old school SP-1 scope on it for a retro look.

https://i.postimg.cc/8CQb8rsv/IMG-1085.jpg
View Quote

This sticks out perhaps .25" from a 4.5" MWI handguard w/CMMG 4.5" barrel: Linear Comp, FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This sticks out perhaps .25" from a 4.5" MWI handguard w/CMMG 4.5" barrel: Linear Comp, FWIW.
View Quote

Thanks. I'm going to test fit this shorty Warhog mini-brake to see if the discharge vents are in front of the leading edge of the guard.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've got a lathe, the crown and threads are fine, but i chambered it with a drill bit ??
View Quote

Well... that explains it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Where did you find the barrel in stock??
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered the 4.5 inch 22lr bolt and barrel kit directly from CMMG on May 2nd... and it arrives today!

No one is more surprized and pleased than I am because they initally said delivery would be July 20th.

I was totally willing to wait for it while gathering all the other parts, but glad I don't have to.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

If CMMG is out, keep an eye on the EE. Also, get on Joe Bob Outfitters and Righttobear's waiting list. I scored one from JBO a few weeks back for a buddy. They were OOS within half an hour.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#16]
my CMMG Bravo is on a ~10" SBR I use for Steel Challenge...  I tried several comps and flash hiders with the .22lr, and they all leaded up pretty badly over time, so now I use a DIY flash can to give me a little more safety margin as I shoot extended forearm..

for 'mo better' reliability I'd suggest a Bore Buddy firing pin and extractor for the B unit... I use Black Dog stainless feed lip beam welded magazines... CCI SV and Blazer
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#18]
The CMMG bolt and barrel kit arrived.
Just 8 days from ordering to receiving the parts.

They fit perfectly. The little stubby muzzle brake will work fine as the vents are out in front of the handguard enough not to cause any problem.

So the upper is complete now. I'm waiting on some more bits and pieces (end plate, end cap, quick release D ring, magazine) to arrive. Then I pick up the lower in three days.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Test fit the upper on an SBR lower just to see how it looks.

Ghetto

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Test fit the upper on an SBR lower just to see how it looks.

Ghetto Gun

https://i.postimg.cc/CxNz6MMs/IMG-1104.jpg

View Quote

I like it! Wish I still had an M16 lower!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Wished I had waited for the 4.5 inch barrel.

I’ve currently got a 9 inch build in progress.  Looks a little funky now with the long handguard. Waiting on a Rev-9 suppressor. Should tuck nicely under the rail.

Dang, I should have waited for the 4.5.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#23]
There are barrel shortening and threading services. You could shorten yours to any custom length you wanted.

I had my Ruger 22/45 shortened and threaded, and they did an absolutely beautiful job.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought a CMMG 4.5” barrel last summer for a .22 project but decided I wanted an 8” barrel instead. I figured I’d eventually sell off the 4.5” one but never got around to it.
Now after seeing these pictures I think I have a new .22 build in my future.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I built a 4.5" AR22 pistol a couple of years ago and used a cheap 3.5"  handguard on it. I still had to use a Kak slimline flash can to clear the end of the handguard.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I highly suggest going with a Kak flashgun or similar. You really do not want hot gasses venting inside the handguard. Now there is no need for that if you for anyone else never plans on holding the handguard.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bought a CMMG 4.5” barrel last summer for a .22 project but decided I wanted an 8” barrel instead. I figured I’d eventually sell off the 4.5” one but never got around to it.
Now after seeing these pictures I think I have a new .22 build in my future.
View Quote

I had the same experience. Seeing the blasters encouraged me to do one, too. The AR's "Ford Model T" modularity encourages aftermarket companies to come up with their own specialty products.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I built a 4.5" AR22 pistol a couple of years ago and used a cheap 3.5"  handguard on it. I still had to use a Kak slimline flash can to clear the end of the handguard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101824/AR22P1_jpg-2379792.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101824/4_5AR_closeup_png-2379793.JPG

I highly suggest going with a Kak flashgun or similar. You really do not want hot gasses venting inside the handguard. Now there is no need for that if you for anyone else never plans on holding the handguard.
View Quote

Most of the two vents are in front of the guard, so I'm going to try it first just to see what happens. I'll also try shooting with the off hand wrapped around the magwell.

I can always find something else to screw onto it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Most of the vents are in front of the guard, so I'm going to try it first just to see what happens. I'll also try shooting with the off hand wrapped around the magwell.

https://i.postimg.cc/VLK39WNg/IMG-1091.jpg

I can always find something else to screw onto it.
View Quote
But it is the vents that are inside of the handguard that can and will get you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
But it is the vents that are inside of the handguard that can and will get you.
View Quote

There aren't any other vents. Just those two, one on each side 180 degrees opposite the other.

If they're too close and there is any interference, I can always run a Lantac Dragon. All its vents are in front of the guard.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I asked this in another post, just trying to get a quick answer to take advantage of a sale price:

Does the CMMG & RTB .22 Bolt Groups use the same type of magazines?
Are the magazines compatible with both conversion units?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I asked this in another post, just trying to get a quick answer to take advantage of a sale price:

View Quote

(deleted wrong information)
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes.

Quoted:
However, I do have Colt and CMMG 22 conversion bolt goups and both the Colt 22 and the CMMG 22 magazines all work interchangeably.

(CMMG BCD with Colt Mag)

A Colt, i.e. Umarex, 22lr magazine?  I've asked elsewhere whether the Colt 22lr magazines fit in a standard lower and have been told they do not.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, CMMG is exactly the same at RTB. Pretty sure they are both made by the same manufacturer. BCGs, barrels, mags totally interchangeable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks to all that answered my question above about CMMG & RTB being compatible.
I wanted to order some parts, all I need now is a reasonably priced stubby hand guard to complete the upper.
Kind of excited about this build, always wanted a compact rimfire build that had no stock or brace and the pictures here inspired me.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks to all that answered my question above about CMMG & RTB being compatible.
I wanted to order some parts, all I need now is a reasonably priced stubby hand guard to complete the upper.
Kind of excited about this build, always wanted a compact rimfire build that had no stock or brace and the pictures here inspired me.
Thanks
View Quote

I agree.
Mine won't have a stock or a brace either. The buffer tube plug and plate just came in today.

Also ordered a quick release D ring to click into the plug.

Post pics of your build.
It's lots of fun seeing everyone's different ideas.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes.

A Colt, i.e. Umarex, 22lr magazine?  I've asked elsewhere whether the Colt 22lr magazines fit in a standard lower and have been told they do not.
View Quote

Hey, you're right! I was totally wrong.

I have 3 BCG"s and thought I had CMMG with the Colt mag when it was actually the Colt BCG.

(Colt BCG and Colt mag)

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There aren't any other vents. Just those two, one on each side 180 degrees opposite the other.

https://i.postimg.cc/vHbKBWkQ/IMG-1087.jpg

If they're too close and there is any interference, I can always run a Lantac Dragon. All its vents are in front of the guard.

https://i.postimg.cc/Xv4KK8KJ/IMG-1117.jpg
View Quote

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to save you some headaches and burnt fingers or messed up handguard. I hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes, CMMG is exactly the same at RTB. Pretty sure they are both made by the same manufacturer. BCGs, barrels, mags totally interchangeable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's also the Better-Mag adapter, if you'd prefer to use S&W M&P15-22 magazines.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:25:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to save you some headaches and burnt fingers or messed up handguard. I hope it works out for you.
View Quote

I'll find out.

I pick up the stripped lower on Friday and there's still a few other bits and pieces that need to arrive. Next trip to the range I'll post the results here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 2:01:46 AM EDT
[#40]
There’s a gorgeous CMMG LNIB 7” Handguard Takeoff from a 22LR Banshee in the EE... Would work great for tucking in half a 22LR can on a 4-5” barrel.

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#41]
That's a hilarious gif!

A couple of short 10 round mags arrived today. They're more compact than the 25 round mags and will fit the scale of the gun better.

Everything is ready for the lower tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Starting to take shape...

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#43]
This project almost begs for a binary trigger.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This project almost begs for a binary trigger.
View Quote

For now it'll just have a regular trigger.

Got it all together today and test fired it.

I'm used to rifles with subsonics, and this thing is L O U D even with subsonic ammo!  
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#45]
It's pretty hefty at over twice as heavy as my 22/45.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#46]
In the current configuration, about 3#, 10 oz. with 10 rounds in the mag:
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's pretty hefty at over twice as heavy as my 22/45.

https://i.postimg.cc/Kz4xmLZr/IMG-1143.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/C5q0qgnR/IMG-1144.jpg
View Quote

Looks great with the irons but losing them in favor of a pistol style red dot on a pic mount would probably save a lot of weight.

That’s what my plan is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In the current configuration, about 3#, 10 oz. with 10 rounds in the mag:
https://i.imgur.com/jYfTLE7.jpg
View Quote

I like your minimalist sights and will likely go with something similar.

The AR furniture came off of my "assault" bullpup shotgun and I was just experimenting to see what it would be like on the Blaster.

That 20 inch Maverick88 is a real blast shooting clay.  
The muzzle brake reduces recoil by at least 50%, and the AR bullpup configuration makes it VERY comfortable to handle. I adapted it to cycle Minishells and it holds 13 +1.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Looks great with the irons but losing them in favor of a pistol style red dot on a pic mount would probably save a lot of weight.

That’s what my plan is.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm likely to go with something more pistol appropriate.

I've never had a red dot and know nothing about them, so I need to go on youtube to get up to speed on them.

Do you have any to recommend?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Honestly, the only modern red dots I’m currently using are a few of each Romeo 5 and Primary Arms SLx on full size guns. This will be my first pistol size red dot.
Since this is going to be on a fun gun I’ll probably see what my local shop has a on sale. The last special they posted was for the U.S. Optics DRS 2.0 Red Dot Sight. It comes with a pic rail so it’s a likely candidate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top